Thursday, January 07, 2021

Run for the hills?

 


Like millions of Americans I tuned in the news yesterday and watched the chaotic events at the Capitol. A deep sadness swept over me, a realization of just how close anarchy and the terror it brings with it is to our lives.  A few months ago it was riots in the streets, burning and looting businesses. Yesterday it was literally ‘rage against the machine.’  The rule of law was challenged by people fed up, marginalized; whose anger was stoked by irresponsible political rhetoric.  It was made abundantly clear in yesterday’s insurrection that what we call a ‘divide’ in our nation is actually a chasm of the scope of the Grand Canyon. 

As I felt my sadness starting to morph into fear, I did what I have done my entire life: I prayed. These words of the Psalm reassured me of the One who is my Hope, my Rock.

“In the LORD I take refuge.
How then can you say to me: “Flee like a bird to your mountain.
For look, the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart.

When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?

The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne.

He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them.
The LORD examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates.
On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur;
a scorching wind will be their lot.
For the LORD is righteous,
he loves justice; upright men will see his face."
(Psalm 11, NIV)

What a rich source of wisdom.  David says he will not run for the hills because trouble and danger would find him there, too. He acknowledges that when law and order break down, (the foundations are being destroyed) there is no security to be found in human answers. And, then, in an abrupt shift of perspective, he looks up! "But God hasn’t moved to the mountains; his holy address hasn’t changed. He’s in charge, as always, his eyes taking everything in, his eyelids unblinking, examining Adam’s unruly brood inside and out, not missing a thing. " (Psalm 11:4, The Message)

David’s hope, mine too, is the justice of the LORD. God is not fooled by empty religion. He is not duped by political machinations. He is just and will bring about justice. Our assurance is that we will see His face, that is, we can know Him and enjoy eternal life even as the world we live in is unraveling.

Today, will you trust Him again? 
Will you make Him your true God, the Center, accepting His grace shown through Christ Jesus?

Personal transformation that is created by a profound experience of the amazing love of the Father is available to all of us, received by faith.

IF you have never trusted Christ, would you do that today? In your own words, from your own heart, invite Him to reveal the depth of His love for you. In Christ there is reconciliation to our God, there is rest for our soul, there is hope for tomorrow’s tomorrow!  If you have loved Him a long time but are feeling the fear of the times, take time to renew your heart in quietness, to ask Him settle you with the revelation that “God hasn’t moved to the mountains; his holy address hasn’t changed.

Here is a word from the Word. Own the promise today by faith!
"
Good will come to him who is generous and lends freely, who conducts his affairs with justice.
Surely he will never be shaken; a righteous man will be remembered forever.
He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
His heart is secure, he will have no fear; in the end he will look in triumph on his foes." (Psalm 112:5-8, NIV)  Amen!

______________

There Was Jesus

 Every time I tried to make it on my own

Every time I tried to stand and start to fall

All those lonely roads that I have traveled on

There was Jesus

 

When the life I built came crashing to the ground

When the friends I had were nowhere to be found

I couldn't see it then but I can see it now

There was Jesus

 

In the waiting in the searching

In the healing and the hurting

Like a blessing buried in the broken pieces

Every minute every moment

Of where I been or where I'm going

Even when I didn't know it

Or couldn't see it

(There was Jesus)

 

For this man who needs amazing kind of grace

For forgiveness at a price I couldn't pay

I'm not perfect so I thank God every day

There was Jesus (There was Jesus)

 

There was Jesus on the mountain in the valleys

(There was Jesus) in the shadows of the alleys

(There was Jesus) in the fire in the flood

(There was Jesus) always is and always was

 

No I never walk alone You are always there

(Never walk alone)

 

There was Jesus (There was Jesus)

(There was Jesus)

 

Casey Beathard | Jonathan Smith | Zach Williams

© Anthems of Hope (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

Be Essential Songs (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: