Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Light it up!



A little tree in my backyard is covered with Christmas lights that blink on and off and that gives me joy. I suppose that is the child in me.  Christmas lights are the best part of seasonal decorations, for me! Some people like those multi-colored strands of bright reds, greens, blues; but they are not my style. I think that the clear white ones are the only way to go.

It is the symbolism of the lights that I Iove the most. As the long darkness of winter settles over us, we protest by putting up the lights that make our homes bright.  In so doing, we remember the One who came to a darkened world to be the Light of Life.

“Lighting” sets a mood, doesn’t it? A room with poor lighting may be beautifully decorated but who can enjoy what is hidden by shadows?  Glaring fluorescent lighting screams “industrial” and “cold.”  Lighting can enhance a sense of intimacy, set off a focal point. Then, too, who is not happier on those days flooded with brilliant sunshine?  Such is the power of light.

Jesus changes our lives by bringing Light to us. Of the Incarnation, John said, "Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone. The light shines through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it." (John 1:4-5, NLT)  Isaiah spoke of the coming Messiah as Light. "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." (Isaiah 9:2, NIV)  Because of the coming of the LIGHT, we need no longer stumble through life, tripped up by sin, confused by the lies of that are told by the prince of darkness.  Jesus comes at the Revealer, the Truthful One, the Way;  the Light of Life.

And…  Christians are called to live in the Light and to be light-bearers. "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16, NIV)  

Disciple, are you living in the Light?  We give ourselves to Him prayerfully inviting His Light to shine into our lives. What a powerful metaphor that is for us. When light is introduced to a room, darkness is dispelled. Darkness is a void; light fills that ‘empty’ place.  The glorious Truth is that when we respond in faith to Him, He gives us Light and dispels the darkness. To rid ourselves of the ugliness  and hopelessness of sin is a futile task. But, when Jesus Christ enters our lives, He does in us, what we cannot do for ourselves. Believe and simply receive!

This wonderful time of the year I hope that those Christmas lights strung around your home, along the streets, and in the stores cause you to rejoice; remembering that you are a child of God, called to live ‘in the Light.’  “Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you." (Isaiah 60:1-2, NIV)

The word from the Word for today is a prayer.
In these opening days of Advent, make it your prayer.

"Send forth your light and your truth,
let them guide me;

let them bring me to your holy mountain,

to the place where you dwell.

Then will I go to the altar of God,

to God, my joy and my delight.

I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God.
Why are you downcast, O my soul?

Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,

for I will yet praise him,

my Savior and my God."
(Psalm 43:3-5, NIV)

_________________________

I Saw the Light
(Hank Williams sings a classic)

 

I wandered so aimless,

Life filled with sin.

I wouldn't let my dear Savior in.

Then Jesus came

Like a stranger in the night.

Praise the Lord! I saw the light!

 

I saw the light,

I saw the light.

No more in darkness,

No more in night!

Now I'm so happy,

No sorrow in sight.

Praise the Lord!

I saw the light!

 

Just like a blind man

I wandered along,

Worries and fears
I claimed for my own.

Then like the blind man

That God gave back his sight,

Praise the Lord!

I saw the light.

 

I was a fool

To wander and stray;

Straight is the gate

And narrow the way.

Now I have traded

The wrong for the right;

Praise the Lord! I saw the light!

 

Williams, Hank

© 1948. Renewed 1975 Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.  / Hiriam Music, Inc. Unaffiliated Catalog (UC)

CCLI License No. 810055

 

No comments: