Friday, May 01, 2020

Let's talk about being KEPT SAFE

The Spirit invites us to secure rest by painting multiple word pictures for us in Psalm 91. "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." (Psalm 91:1-4, NIV)
 
The Lord inspired the writer to load those lines with one reassuring metaphor piled on another.

We read of dwelling, settling down, in the “shelter” of God. The word invites us to a hiding place, a secret place in the Presence of the Lord. When you were a kid did you have a place to which you could retreat, your hide-out? Maybe it was a corner of the attic, or a place at the back of your clothes closet, or a spot in the woods behind your house? In my case, I used to love to climb up into the hay loft of our horse barn, where I built little forts with the hay bales. It seemed like nothing in the world could find me there!  WE are invited to go and find a place with God and the result, the Psalm says, is “rest” in God’s overshadowing Presence.  I encourage you to retreat to that place often, especially now.

We know Him as our “refuge and fortress.  The words have related but different meanings for us. The refuge was a shelter in a stormy time, where a person could get ‘out of the weather.’  I love a tempestuous thunderstorm IF I have a secure refuge from which to observe the fury of the wind and rain. The explosive crack of lightning followed by the roll of thunder awes me, if I feel safe. God invites us to come to Him and find a secure place from which we can observe the storm without fear.  In a related word, the Psalmist says He is a fortress. 

Not so long ago, in time of war the only secure place was the castle, the fortress with stone walls and strong gates. When devils attack, when enemies circle, when we feel threat to our safety, God invites us to secure ourselves in Him. Remember, Christian, you are secure; Christ’s grace your fortress. "And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love. Death can’t, and life can’t. The angels can’t, and the demons can’t. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can’t keep God’s love away." (Romans 8:38, NLT)

The word picture I love most today is found in this phrase:  He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge.”  This was the comfort in which the Lord awakened me this morning. This farm boy knows the image well from my days around the chickens! When Mother Hen sensed danger, she clucked a rapid code that signaled her chicks to come running. She spread her wings, ruffled her feathers, and those chicks disappeared under her, hidden away. She put herself at risk from a hawk or predator in order to keep her chicks safe.  

 What a comfort to know that God loves us with a mother love, a self-sacrificing love. Jesus holds out a covering for us, our sins forgiven, our guilt erased, the accusations of our deadly Enemy rendered meaningless by God’s grace, shown in the Cross, and sworn true by the Resurrection.

With a childlike faith, secure yourself today in the secret place of the Presence of God.
Run to the refuge, feel the comfort of knowing that He is your secure fortress.
Ask for faith to let His wings of safety cover you.

Make this word from the Word your meditation today. "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare of the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him. For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from the fatal plague. He will shield you with his wings. He will shelter you with his feathers. His faithful promises are your armor and protection." (Psalm 91:1-4, NLT)
___________

(take 3 minutes and listen to Lauren Daigle sing this song.)

When ten thousand arrows take flight
Remind me that You are my armor
There's always a place I can hide
When I am desperate for shelter

You're my covering
I'm safe I'm safe
Whatever comes at me
I'm safe I'm safe

You got me under Your wings under Your wings
I'm under I'm under Your wings
You got me You cover me You cover me
I'm under I'm under Your wings

With every step that I take
You are before and behind me
In every fear that I face
Oh I'm constantly finding

Jason Ingram | Lauren Daigle | Lauren Strahm | Paul Mabury
© 2018 CentricSongs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
See You At The Pub (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Fellow Ships Music (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
Flychild Publishing (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
So Essential Tunes (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: