Friday, April 03, 2020

Confident of the Catch


Remember going to the circus and watching those amazing performers who did their work near the top of the tent?  They stepped out onto a wire, walking high overhead with skill from one tiny platform to another. Then came the trapeze act – that breath-taking moment when a person swung out overhead, sitting on a small bar. Suddenly she slipped down and hung by her hands from that bar, swinging back and forth overhead. Another, stood waiting and watching, holding his own bar. In a practiced moment he slips from his platform, locking his bar behind his knees, to begin his own timed swing.  

 Then, she is flying through the air, looking like she will crash to the ground below … until he swings towards her, hands extended, and catches her hands in his. There is only one reason the person would let go of the relative safety of the trapeze bar. She must be confident of the catch, sure that he will be there at the second she flies, that his grip will be secure.  (If you want a visual image, click on this link. Flying Trapeze.)

Call me sentimental, if you want, but I found myself choked with emotion as I watched that video clip and sensed the Holy Spirit inviting me to let go and trust Him to catch me!

In this time, unprecedented in my lifetime, we are watching leaders making it up as they go because, responding to new information, trying to keep people alive and well, health systems functioning, the national economy from crashing under the stress of the pandemic. In various ways, we all feel the uncertainty – some about our own health, some with job and income loss, some with general concern about an unknown future. If you are having trouble sleeping, you are not alone. If you are over-eating because of stress, you are among many. If you are finding yourself trying to pray and your prayers turn into tears, know that many of us are there with you. 

(A note here -  be wise. Gaining 20 lbs from eating junk, drinking too much and doing foolish things, overspending and creating debt – are ultimately self-defeating attempts to find comfort. You know that, but I had to say it.)

May I invite you to renew your faith, to become confident of His ability to catch us as we let go?

When the future of Judah was hidden, God spoke with a promise that we can hold onto today. "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." (Isaiah 41:10, NLT)  In the Psalm of the desperate, a lament for times of trouble, the writer goes to worship and finds himself caught by God, renewed. He declares - "I’m still in your presence, but you’ve taken my hand. You wisely and tenderly lead me, and then you bless me." (Psalm 73:23-24, The Message)

What are you clinging to, where are you attempting to find security? Reality check time! 
Government can help but it cannot save.
Friends and family are an amazing resource, but ultimately they cannot save us.
Our money cannot save us, something that ought to be clear as we watch the wild swings on Wall Street.

But God is there, inviting us to let go of those things.  We cannot find His unfathomable peace unless we are willing to let go and fly into the unknown. Yes  it hard to let go of what we know to grasp what is, as yet, unseen. But, He is trustworthy, the One who secures us for this life and the next, as well.

If you are troubled, you may wish to find a place alone for prayer. There, with pen and paper, write down what troubles you. Then, hold it up and ‘let go.’  Fold that paper and tuck it into your Bible at the 73rd Psalm as a symbolic way of saying, “I’m letting go and reaching out to YOU, confident of Your catch!”

Here is a word from the Word for your meditation today. "Powerful is your arm! Strong is your hand! Your right hand is lifted high in glorious strength. Your throne is founded on two strong pillars—righteousness and justice. Unfailing love and truth walk before you as attendants. Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, for they will walk in the light of your presence, Lord. They rejoice all day long in your wonderful reputation. They exult in your righteousness." (Psalm 89:13-16, NLT)
___________


Letting go of every single dream
I lay each one down at Your feet
Every moment of my wondering
Never changes what You see

I've tried to win this war I confess
My hands are weary I need Your rest
Mighty warrior King of the fight
No matter what I face You're by my side

When You don't move the mountains
I'm needing You to move
When You don't part the waters
I wish I could walk through
When You don't give the answers
As I cry out to You
I will trust I will trust
I will trust in You

Truth is You know what tomorrow brings
There's not a day ahead You have not seen
So in all things be my life and breath
I want what You want Lord and nothing less

You are my strength and comfort
You are my steady hand
You are my firm foundation
The Rock on which I stand
Your ways are always higher
Your plans are always good
There's not a place where I'll go
You've not already stood


Lauren Daigle | Michael Farren | Paul Mabury

© 2014 CentricSongs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
See You At The Pub (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Farren Love And War Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing (Integrity Music [DC Cook]))
Integrity's Alleluia! Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing (Integrity Music [DC Cook]))

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: