Friday, March 27, 2020

Walking by faith isn’t easy!


Keep the Faith! It’s a great line and an even better choice for life.  We have all heard enough bad news in the last couple of weeks to last a lifetime. Are you going to just camp in the awful, hang onto the dread, rehearse the losses? Don’t do it. Christ Jesus invites us to be led by our Great Shepherd giving us reason for hope no matter what is happening around us, to us, or inside of us.  

Yesterday, at Faith Discovery Church, I joined 5 other people, average age about 65, who spent the afternoon distributing food from our church pantry. (We were wise, practicing good social distancing.) What joy I discovered in giving supplies and a hearty “God bless and keep you” to those 45 families that showed up. I found further joy in remembering that effort was possible because of dozens of others who give, support, serve, and pray to keep hope alive and faith evident in our church.

I want to urge you to FOCUS upwards and outwards today- with hope formed in FAITH. Habakkuk, the preacher who was a contemporary of Jeremiah, living in Jerusalem about 600 years before the time of Jesus, wrote about living by faith. He pondered the question of fairness and God’s will. He was inspired to leave us a little book that shines bright for us with a message capsulated in this passage -  "the righteous will live by his faiththe Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth be silent before him.” (Habakkuk 2:4,20, NIV)

Listen to his aching heart and let the words become your cry in this season. "How long, O Lord, must I call for help? But you do not listen! “Violence is everywhere!” I cry, but you do not come to save." (Habakkuk 1:2, NLT)  Living in faith is not easy and it never has been!  

He continues his prayer for understanding this way. "God, you’re from eternity, aren’t you? Holy God, we aren’t going to die, are we? God, you chose Babylonians for your judgment work? Rock-Solid God, you gave them the job of discipline? But you can’t be serious! You can’t condone evil! So why don’t you do something about this? Why are you silent now? This outrage! Evil men swallow up the righteous and you stand around and watch!" (Habakkuk 1:12-13, The Message)  I feel his emotions, don’t you?

But, Habakkuk moved beyond that place to rest in FAITH and to LOOK UP.  He surrendered himself to God.  Don’t read that to mean that we should throw in the towel and walk away from the fight! Faith leads us to acceptance of God’s will and to hope that is anchored securely on His assurance that justice will be done.  This is the declaration that is the anchor of our faith. "Do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord, no matter what happens. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised. “For in just a little while, the Coming One will come and not delay. And a righteous person will live by faith. . . . we are not like those who turn their backs on God and seal their fate. We have faith that assures our salvation." (Hebrews 10:35-39, NLT)

My late father often reminded me of the importance of faithfulness with this homely little phrase – “Remember, son, God’s payday is not necessarily this Friday.” Both reward and judgment are sometimes out of sight in our limited line of vision, but they are assured by the eternal purpose and promise of our Father!

Habakkuk sums up his faith walk in the words that reflect our earnest hope to see things made right and our determination to wait on the Lord.
Take this word from the Word today to heart and pray for faith to grow strong, faith that stabilizes you, that keeps you serving, loving, and looking for the Kingdom to come.

O Lord, I have heard Your speech and was afraid;
O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years!
In the midst of the years make it known;
    In wrath remember mercy.

Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls—

Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer’s feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.

Habakkuk 3:2; 17-19 (NKJV)
_______________

(actual song begins 2 minutes in
CeCe Winans will blow you away)

Blessed assurance Jesus is mine
O what a foretaste of glory divine
Heir of salvation purchase of God
Born of His Spirit washed in His blood

Perfect submission perfect delight
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy whispers of love

Perfect submission all is at rest
I in my Savior am happy and blest
Watching and waiting looking above
Filled with His goodness lost in His love

This is my story this is my song
Praising my Savior all the day long
This is my story this is my song
Praising my Savior all the day long

Fanny Jane Crosby | Phoebe Palmer Knapp
© Words: Public Domain

No comments: