Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Staying Connected


A long time ago, in our small church office, a friend brought some strange looking computer hardware and cables. That day we built a network! It connected my PC, the secretary's PC, and a printer. Those same tasks are now accomplished easily over wi-fi, with automated installations. Back then it was a real job that required technical knowledge. This morning, sitting here in my kitchen my computer is part of the Internet, networked to millions of computers, worldwide, where I can find information, chat with friends, watch podcasts, and exchange messages.

Networking is for more than computers. The last few days when the corona virus has kept most of us at home, the virtual connections became a great source of joy. Even as I was preparing to write this blog, Charlie posted a beautiful violin solo of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” on my Facebook page, which I really enjoyed! Solomon told us that "A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken." (Ecclesiastes 4:12, NLT)

If get too focused on the task at hand we may fail to appreciate the people involved in the process. It’s a weakness I know well. But, when we slow down, love people, create opportunities for others to ‘join’ us in life, we find real joy.  And, yes, that product we are working at, it will be better for the sharing. Teams make us more creative, give our work more longevity, and enjoy broader acceptance. That is true no matter what social structure we are thinking of - family, neighborhood, church, corporation, or government.

So, if the advantages of networking are so obvious, why don't more of us get connected?

By definition, networks limit our autonomy! When we become part of a network, we give up some of our rights. We must think of 'we' as a higher value than 'me.'  Self is strong and our human nature resists letting go of some of our ‘freedom.’ The devil's lie is - "Express yourself. Do your own thing. It's the only way to be happy." God's truth is - "Give yourself away. Serve and love, and you will discover joy!"

One of my prayers is that this corona virus with the ‘social distancing’ requirements will actually serve to get us reconnected. You and me, in Christ, being His Body.  Let’s make Him beautiful in our world – caring, sharing, serving, loving.

Here's a word from the Word about becoming part of the Spirit's network.
"Make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one heart and purpose." (Philippians 2:2, NLT) "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,... taking the nature of a servant." (Philippians 2:3-7, NIV)

Now, that's REAL networking.
_______________


There's revival and it's spreading
Like a wildfire in my heart
A Sunday morning hallelujah
And it's lasting all week long
Can you hear it
Can you feel it
It's the rhythm of a gospel song
Oh once you choose it you can't lose it

 (Oh 'cause) There ain't nothing
There ain't nothing gonna steal my joy

I've got an old church choir singing in my soul
I've got a sweet salvation and it's beautiful
I've got a heart overflowing
'Cause I've been restored
(No) there ain't nothing gonna steal my joy
No there ain't nothing gonna steal my joy

When the valleys that I wander
Turn to mountains that I can't climb
Oh You are with me You never leave me

Clap your hands and stomp your feet
'Til you find that gospel beat
'Cause He's all you'll ever need
All you'll ever need
Clap your hands and stomp your feet
'Til you find that gospel beat
'Cause He's all you'll ever need
All you'll ever need

I've got an old church choir singing in my soul
I've got a sweet salvation and it's beautiful

Oh there ain't nothing gonna steal my joy

Colby Wedgeworth | Ethan Hulse | Zach Williams
© 2016 Anthems of Hope (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
Be Essential Songs (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
EGH Music Publishing (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: