Friday, March 20, 2020

Lord, save us!


Each day we learn of more about the spread of the virus and none of us has the faintest idea how this story ends. The uncertainty wears on us if we dwell on it, so let’s make a radical choice of faith.

There is a story about Jesus’ power that Matthew tells from his own experience. "Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!” (Matthew 8:23-27, NIV)

Here is a suggestion for you today. Find a piece of paper or a journal and write down what is making you fearful. You do not have to write a book – a simple list will do. Then, holding it in your hands, pray “Lord, save us!”  Even if you don’t ‘feel it’ make the choice to turn to Jesus!  You don’t have to tell Him what to do, how to do it, or make a legal case.  Just place yourself, your needs, your family, your friends, your community, your nation, our world before and ask Him to save. 

Jesus told that storm to settle and it did. He will calm the fears in you and in me IF we will choose faith.
Remember He promises this - “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  
What comes from that assurance? “So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6, NIV)

Sometimes it may seem to you that God is not there. Words like I have shared above may seem to be written in a foreign language, all but incomprehensible. Choose faith anyway! Faith does not rest on our experience or emotion. We choose to pray for faith, to live IN faith, and our intimacy with God will grow. 
If we will choose to take God at His Word, which means accepting what He says as true and shaping our choices around the Truth, the Holy Spirit will strengthen us. Yes, and our experience will be shaped by the outcomes of our faith response.  Let’s not base our ongoing faith in results that we demand of God. Instead, let’s trust the faithfulness of the Lord Jesus.

The word from the Word today is Paul’s prayer for the Ephesians “that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith” (Eph. 3:16–17).

Pray with me, the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray-
”‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’"
For Yours is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen
 (Matthew 6:9-13, NIV)
__________

This is my song for this season …


When darkness tries to roll over my bones
When sorrow comes to steal the joy I own
When brokenness and pain is all I know
I won't be shaken I won't be shaken

My fear doesn't stand a chance
When I stand in Your love (repeat)

Shame no longer has a place to hide
I am not a captive to the lies
I'm not afraid to leave my past behind
I won't be shaken I won't be shaken

There's power that can break off every chain
There's power that can empty out a grave
There's resurrection power that can save
There's power in Your name power in Your name

Standing in Your love

Ethan Hulse | Josh Baldwin | Mark Harris | Rita Springer
© 2018 Be Essential Songs (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
EGH Music Publishing (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
Gateway Create Publishing (Fair Trade Music Publishing [c/o Essential Music Publishing LLC])
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: