Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Onward!



Ever been ‘so sure’ that some choice was just the right one, so committed to a course of action you were certain was God’s will, only to find that everything has gone wrong? Looking back, do you see decisions you made, for all the right reasons, that brought a totally different outcome than you anticipated?  I know both of those experiences. Sometimes the passing of time reveals that what we were so determined to do really had little to do with the Lord’s guidance and everything to do with being headstrong.  And yes, sometimes we can see that God is guiding but His intentions for us where different than our preconceptions.

While I do not believe in fate, I have no doubt that when we keep step with the Spirit, God, our Father, is guiding us – with revelation, in circumstances, by His Spirit. I am holding onto this promise tightly today. "If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand." (Psalm 37:23-24, NIV)  When does the Lord ‘delight in our way?’  When we are living with humble obedience, responding quickly to Him.

Do not make that promise more than it is, however!  God does not tell us to plunge ahead in life, thoughtlessly or without prayer, with misplaced trust that He will prevent us from making costly or wrong choices. He gives you and me responsibility to live wisely and well. As a Christian we need healthy caution about relying solely on our ‘gut’ or even our limited insight. We must learn to wait, listen. A wise man said, “How rare it is to find a soul quiet enough to hear God speak.”  Ponder that for a moment.

Peter loved Jesus and when he heard Him talking about going to the Cross, Mark says he "took him aside and began to rebuke him." (Mark 8:32, NIV) That Jesus would die the death of a common criminal, on a Roman cross, suffering such agony, and be in the will of God at the same time was incomprehensible to Peter! What purpose could such a thing serve? But the Cross was the plan of God! Peter's good intentions, but ignorance of the will of the Father, earned him a strong correction. "Turning and seeing his disciples wavering, wondering what to believe, Jesus confronted Peter. "Peter, get out of my way! Satan, get lost! You have no idea how God works." (Mark 8:33, The Message)

While I offer those cautions, let me flip the coin and remind you, disciple, that there need not be a paralysis brought on by the fear of walking out of the will of God!
He's a big God. As the Psalm said, “though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand."

Earlier in that same 37th Psalm, there is this advice for living securely in the hands of the Lord.

"Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong;
for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes." (Psalm 37:1-7, NIV)

Beautiful words, aren’t they?  Today I want to be who He desires me to be, in the place He purposes for me, doing the things in which He delights.  How about you?  Here is a word from the Word. "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature." (Galatians 5:16, NIV)  "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:25, NIV)
________

I'm Trusting You
(One of our Awana Kid’s songs)

Wherever you lead me
I'm gonna follow
I'm trusting you God
You are good
Life will get crazy
Wild and amazing
I'm trusting you God
You are good
(REPEAT)

 (Oh) I wanna live each day like anything can happen
Can't hardly wait to see what's next
I wanna face this world with wonder and excitement
Face every challenge every test
(REPEAT)

Walk through the valley
Climb mountains high
Wherever we go Lord
YOU ARE GOOD
Can't hold me back now
I'm gonna fly
Wherever we go Lord
YOU ARE GOOD
(REPEAT)

I'm trusting you God
You are good
I'm trusting you God
You are good

Jay Stocker
© 2019 Group Publishing, Inc.
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: