Tuesday, June 04, 2019

Don’t burn out!


We all get weary, don’t we?  That fatigue can result from hard work, a project that demands sustained effort, or it can come from ongoing pressure and stress. A few hours ago, in the darkness of the early morning hours, my mind started sorting through a list of things that must be done, working with tough questions that must be answered. I turned to the Lord in prayer and words of Jesus came to mind – “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NIV)

His invitation is a sweet one for those times in life when the demands seem to be far greater than resources!

First, He says, "Come to me."  
We're very foolish if we let life responsibilities keep us from prayer, worship, and meditation. Remember that old saying about 'the tyranny of the urgent?’  If we allow all the urgent things in life to own us, we will fail to do the truly important things.  One of those is making time to wait on the Lord worshipfully where we find renewal of our hearts.

Second, He tells us to "Take my yoke upon you."  
The ideal is not idleness. In the Eden of Genesis there was work to do. Being a disciple does not excuse us from sweat or effort. Jesus says that there is a yoke, an object of for labor, for us all. If a yoke was ill-fitting, it chafed and the bearer of the burden grew sore. If it fit right, the work was done better, with less fatigue. Jesus calls us to service. That service will often demand much from us, but if we're putting on the yoke He's prepared for us, He will be there to bear the weight with us.

Third, He says, "Learn from me!"
Jesus knew what I need to understand better- that work must be relieved by rest; that giving out must be matched by taking in! He gave His all to the people He loved and He also took time to retreat to time with His Father. Throughout the Gospels we find Him withdrawing from the ministry to pray and be alone with God. It's such a simple lesson, but so easily ignored, isn't it?  When we try to keep on going, pushing ourselves when we need to find a quiet place with Him to breathe in the Breath of the Spirit, we rob ourselves of effectiveness and joy.

Are responsibilities piling up and resources growing scarce?
Are people in your life asking more from you than you think you can produce?
Has the Evil One sent a demon to torment you with whispers of futility?

Here is the word from the Word. It is those words of Jesus again, from a paraphrase. Read it. Heed it!
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life.
I’ll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you."
Matthew 11:28-29 (The Message)

"Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock.
If you hear me call and open the door, I’ll come right in and sit down to supper with you.
Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I,
having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father.
That’s my gift to the conquerors!" Revelation 3:20-21 (The Message)
_________

O Come To The Altar
(an invitation song … from Elevation Worship)

Are you hurting and broken within
Overwhelmed by the weight of your sin
Jesus is calling
Have you come to the end of yourself
Do you thirst for a drink from the well
Jesus is calling

O come to the altar
The Father's arms are open wide
Forgiveness was bought with
The precious blood of Jesus Christ

Leave behind your regrets and mistakes
Come today there's no reason to wait
Jesus is calling
Bring your sorrows and trade them for joy
From the ashes a new life is born
Jesus is calling

Oh what a Savior
Isn't he wonderful
Sing alleluia Christ is risen
Bow down before him
For he is Lord of all
Sing alleluia Christ is risen

Bear your cross as you wait for the crown
Tell the world of the treasure you've found

Chris Brown | Mack Brock | Steven Furtick | Wade Joye
© 2015 Music by Elevation Worship Publishing (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: