Friday, March 08, 2019

For the birds



About 6 feet from where I am sitting, a cardinal is enjoying breakfast at the feeder that hangs outside of my kitchen window. Does he know that I provided that seed? Not at all. Will he thank me? No. He’s just a bird that found some food on this cold, snowy morning.  As I watched him there, I was thankful for that little touch of beauty today. I also wondered if I am sometimes as unaware of God’s provision for me as that bird is of mine? Do I take from His hand without even a nod of gratitude, or do I pause to praise, offering true worship to the One who is my Provider?

Jesus teaches us to trust and receive the care of our Father. "Look at the birds. They don’t need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are. Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not." (Matthew 6:26-27, NLT) What is weighing on your mind this morning? Are you anxious, full of care, rushing into the new day to try too hard to control all those variables in your life?

I am no stranger to problems and challenges. I could burden you for the next few moments if I explained just a couple of the things for which I am responsible at this time. But, today, the Spirit used the birds at my feeder to remind me to wait on Him, to let Him lead, to provide for me in the way that He will which is, in those most memorable words of Paul, "exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." (Ephesians 3:20, NKJV)  

 Jesus does not teach us indifference, nor does He ask us resign to fate. He offers His Presence and the promise of all the resources we need if we will make a choice to "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness,” and in that choice, we are assured that “all these things shall be added to you." (Matthew 6:33, NKJV) What things? All that we need for this day!

The Spirit offers us a solid place of restfulness, through Christ.  Referring to the Israelites who would not enter the Promised Land because of their fear and forgetfulness of God’s provisions, He tells us to lean on Him. "For as long, then, as that promise of resting in him pulls us on to God’s goal for us, we need to be careful that we’re not disqualified. We received the same promises as those people in the wilderness, but the promises didn’t do them a bit of good because they didn’t receive the promises with faith. If we believe, though, we’ll experience that state of resting.” (Hebrews 4:1-3, The Message)

Create some space in your life today, preferably right now, to pause, to pray, to meditate on God’s provision for YOU. "Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly." (Psalm 5:3, NLT)

Here is a word from the Word. May it fill you with peace today. "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: “He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.” Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness." (2 Corinthians 9:8-10, NIV)
_________

(worship with this song about His love)

Before I spoke a word
You were singing over me
You have been so so good to me
Before I took a breath
You breathed Your life in me
You have been so so kind to me

O the overwhelming never-ending reckless
Love of God
O it chases me down fights 'til I'm found
Leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it I don't deserve
Still You give Yourself away

O the overwhelming never-ending reckless
Love of God
When I was Your foe still Your love fought for me
You have been so so good to me
When I felt no worth You paid it all for me
You have been so so kind to me

There's no shadow You won't light up
Mountain You won't climb up
Coming after me
There's no wall You won't kick down
Lie You won't tear down
Coming after me

Caleb Culver | Cory Asbury | Ran Jackson
© Watershed Publishing Group (Admin. by Watershed Music Group)
Bethel Music Publishing
Richmond Park Publishing
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: