Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Is God Smart Enough for you?

After a couple of visits to the office, I came to this conclusion: “I don’t trust the competence of this physician.” The certificates on the wall said that all the necessary study was finished for an M.D. degree but despite those credentials, he just did not seem to grasp what was going on with me. He did the same things other doctors have done in the past, but he did not offer any real help for my malady. Whether he is actually a good doctor or if I misjudged him remains unclear. Perhaps I do not even have the ability to evaluate his medical ability, but my loss of confidence is significant. I am no longer receiving care from him!
God is competent! Perhaps even that statement offends or amuses you. “Who are you, Jerry, to judge Him?” you may be asking, and you are right. However, if I do not trust Him, if I think He is unable to care for me, I will act as if HE is incompetent. I will turn to my own resources, caring for myself. Even though the answer to this question seems obvious, let me ask you to ponder it – Is God smart enough for you? Do you trust His Word enough to obey even the hard parts? When you are in difficult times is He the One to whom you turn first?

In an amazing song of praise that sums up the first part of the letter to the Romans, we are reminded of Who God truly is.
"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
“Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?”
“Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?”
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever! Amen."
(Romans 11:33-36, NIV)  

God is complete in wisdom. There is nothing He cannot or does not know. Let that sink in. He gets you. There is no problem He cannot solve, nothing that is beyond His comprehension.  Paul uses the word “unsearchable” not to mean that God is beyond our knowledge, but to remind us that we can never fully define or understand Him because of His infinite Being and Might.

In our conceit, we sometimes think that we need to explain the ‘reality’ of our situation to Him. He does not need our advice, nor does He seek our counsel. He does – get this! - love you, me, this world. We were created that He could enjoy us, that we could serve and worship Him, and that He could care for us and ultimately receive us into His Presence for eternity. The great human tragedy is the sinful pride that leads us to go our own way, to reject His wisdom.  God is able, competent, loving, engaged, and wise.

Whatever faces you, wherever you find yourself today – stay close to your Father!
If your life is full, your joy overflowing, thank Him and realize that “from Him are all things.”
If you are in trials, the winds of hardships battering you, trust Him, knowing that “from Him are all things.”

Here is a word from the Word. My prayer is that you will make the Sovereign Lord your refuge.
"When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." (Psalm 73:21-28, NIV)
________

(worship at this link)

The splendor of the King
Clothed in majesty
Let all the earth rejoice
All the earth rejoice
He wraps Himself in light
And darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice
And trembles at His voice
How great is our God
Sing with me
How great is our God
And all will see how great
How great is our God
And age to age He stands
And time is in His hands
Beginning and the End
Beginning and the End
The Godhead three in one
Father Spirit Son
The Lion and the Lamb
The Lion and the Lamb
Name above all names
Worthy of all praise
My heart will sing
How great is our God

Chris Tomlin | Ed Cash | Jesse Reeves
© 2004 sixsteps Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

No comments: