Thursday, January 04, 2018

Got the scoop?



I like to be ‘in the know,’ don’t you?  I am not talking about gossip. I am talking about having real understanding of a person, a situation, that lets me feel connected and involved. Who does not enjoy a conversation is open and warm, where nothing is hidden, where there is no secret agenda?  I am blessed to have some friends with whom I can say, “This is what I think,” and know that they will lean in and offer counsel and/or correction as needed.

God is a Friend to those who walk with Him! "The Lord confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them." (Psalm 25:14, NIV)  Another translation says this: "The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant." (Psalm 25:14, KJV)  We can know God in a way that goes far beyond just the “Someone Out There,” a distant deity. He will become our Friend, sharing His plans and purposes, speaking of His love to us. How?

Jesus offers us restoration. Confessing our sinfulness and humbly accepting His forgiveness is the first step. Nobody gets to make an appointment with the Lord and announce themselves. We are invited to grace and, receiving the gift, we understand this, that God has "reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault." (Colossians 1:22, NLT)

And, then, as with any relationship, we must be attentive to Him!  The Psalm says, "All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of his covenant." (Psalm 25:10, NIV)  "My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare." (Psalm 25:15, NIV)  Can any friendship survive neglect or long periods of silence? Of course not.  When we invest time and attention in a relationship, it grows deeper and stronger.  If you want God to speak to you, if you want to learn to hear the Spirit’s encouragement, guidance, and counsel – live in a way that invites Him in.  Most of us have experienced the disappointment that comes from having a friend who gets distracted by other things. They no longer reach out or have time. What happens? The relationship withers.

Are you a friend of God? You can be!  His love is limitless and He desires to know us.

Here is a word from the Word.  For many, it is likely familiar, a favorite quote. Meditate on the truth.  Take the invitation. Let God make you an insider in the Kingdom.
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord,
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.

Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me,
and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and
find me when you seek me with all your heart."
(Jeremiah 29:11-13, NIV)
____________


Who am I that You are mindful of me
That You hear me when I call
Is it true that You are thinking of me
How You love me it's amazing
(It’s amazing it’s amazing)

I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls (You call) me friend

God Almighty Lord of Glory
You have called me friend

Israel Houghton | Michael Gungor
© 2003 Integrity Worship Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing (Integrity Music [DC Cook]))
Integrity's Praise! Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing (Integrity Music [DC Cook]))
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: