Monday, July 17, 2017

Fulfilled Fridays




I love coming to the end of the week with a sense of accomplishments, feeling fulfilled. Being able to say, “Lord, thank you for the work done,” is a good thing for me!  Sometimes I end the week with a whole lot of ‘nothing’ to show for my time, with a list of undone tasks hanging over my head, having stumbled through each day.  There is a Monday morning decision that lays the ground work for fulfilled Fridays! It’s called planning. I sort out the tasks of the week into must do’s, should do’s, and could do’s.  Covey called it “beginning with the end in mind.” He said that we “begin each day, task, or project with a clear vision of your desired direction and destination, and then continue by flexing your proactive muscles to make things happen.”

That principle applies to our Christian life as well. I try to remember often that life on this earth is finite. Mine began on July 7, 1955 and has an end known only to God, but an end never the less. For me these are words of hope - "The prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8, NLT)   I will give an accounting to my Savior. I rest in the fact that His death and resurrection secured my entry into heaven. I am motivated by the promise that my faithfulness will find a rich reward.

We live best when we are aware of time’s passing.  Moses prayed "Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom." (Psalm 90:12, NLT)  Paul urges us to "Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity." (Colossians 4:5, NLT)

So, Christian friend, what must be done this week?  What should be started? What could be done if your schedule allows?  I hope you know, and if you do not, that you will stop fumbling along aimlessly, take time to prayerfully put some plans in place. It will make for a much more fulfilling Friday!

A word from the Word reminds us of the JOY of the faithful. Hear it, learn it, live it. “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’" (Matthew 25:21, NLT)

True-Hearted Whole-Hearted

True-hearted, whole-hearted, faithful and loyal;
King of our lives, by Your grace we'll stay true.
Under Your standard, exalted and royal,
Strong in Your strength, we will battle for You.

True-hearted, whole-hearted, fullest allegiance:
Yielding each day to our glorious King.
Valiant endeavor and loving obedience,
Freely and joyously, now would we bring.

True-hearted, whole-hearted, Savior all glorious;
Take Your great power and You reign alone
Over our wills and affections victorious,
Freely surrendered and wholly Your own.

-Public Domain

No comments: