Monday, March 27, 2017

Midnight words of hope for Monday morning!





Weighed down with disappointment, I fretted my way into the night. “Why, Lord, does it have to be like this?” I whined over a situation that is much less than I hoped for.  10:30 became 11, then 11:30, and midnight came without sleep as I wrestled with finding a ‘solution’ that would work in my life.  You, too? Yes, we all have those nights when sleep is chased away by life’s troubles and needs. In the dark of the night, concern turned into frustration, frustration into complaint, and complaint began to become faithlessness.  I reached for the Scripture and rest soon came as the promises of God replaced the anxieties of the day. When what we planned goes out the window, when our best efforts are met with frustration, when people disappoint we can become cynical, a little bundle of ‘poor me.’  Or we can give our cares to the One who says, “I care for you.”

The Word that brought rest to my soul were the words of Isaiah, as he shared the revelation of the Lord with the people of Jerusalem. Their lives were broken, to all appearances their hopes gone.  But God reminds them of His plan to restore the city, her future secure in Him. "The nations will see your righteousness, and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will bestow. You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord’s hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God. No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, (meaning Delightful) and your land Beulah; (meaning God’s Bride)  for the Lord will take delight in you, and your land will be married. As a young man marries a maiden, so will your sons marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you." (Isaiah 62:2-5, NIV)

So how does an ancient word to a people of another era comfort us in our times of disappointment?

We learn that God is always at work to restore, renew, and work for His purposes. Our part is to trust and obey! No one in Jerusalem could even begin to imagine how God would bring back a conquered city, a destroyed Temple, and any resemblance of blessings, but He could and He did!  This is our assurance, too. Does this mean that everything will be rosy, all our stories wrapped up with neat conclusions by nightfall? Not at all.  God works outside of our timelines, before we are born and after we pass from this earth.  

Jeremiah, another man who spoke to those people on God’s behalf, urged them to faith saying, "This is God’s Word on the subject: “As soon as Babylon’s seventy years are up and not a day before, I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. “When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen. “When you come looking for me, you’ll find me. “Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed.” God’s Decree." (Jeremiah 29:10-14, The Message)

He is the same God, in a different time. Will we hope in Him? Will we continue faithful when things are disappointing, when critics abound, when the future is murky?

Our calling in Him is not to slog on, grimly, dutifully merely surviving!  It is to hope in God and, in that hope, to find Joy for the journey.

Take this word from the Word for this day. "Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you’re on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute! Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." (Philippians 4:4-7, The Message)
____________

Mighty To Save

Ev’ryone needs compassion
Love that's never failing
Let mercy fall on me
Ev’ryone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Saviour
The hope of nations

So take me as You find me
All my fears and failures
Fill my life again
I give my life to follow
Ev’rything I believe in
Now I surrender

Saviour He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever Author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

Shine your light and let the whole world see
We're singing
For the glory of the risen King
Jesus
Shine your light and let the whole world see
We're singing
For the glory of the risen King

Ben Fielding | Reuben Morgan
© 2006 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: