Monday, October 31, 2016

You’re a treasure



Even a little child knows the difference in life when he is loved, given worth and value.  During our children’s ministry yesterday, I was doing the Bible lesson for the children. We talked about the Israelites at Mt. Sinai, at the time when the Law was to be given to Moses. I explained how the people were led by God’s cloud and pillar of fire and fed by God’s manna each day. 

Then I read the words of the Lord to the people as He assured them of His great love for them.  "Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the house of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.” (Exodus 19:3-6, NIV)  

I looked at Noah – age 5 – sitting next me and said, “You’re a treasure.”  He looked up a little surprised. I repeated, “You are a treasure to God, very special to Him.” His eyes lit up with delight, he threw up his hands, and expressed his pleasure at that revelation.

On this Monday morning are you wondering if you are just another cog in the machine?
Does the idea that you are of amazing worth seem beyond your grasp?  

Christian, God treasures you! His words to Israel belong to those of us who are adopted into Abraham’s family through baptism. The promise of holy heritage given to him is given to us in Christ. "And now that you belong to Christ, you are the true children of Abraham. You are his heirs, and God’s promise to Abraham belongs to you." (Galatians 3:29, NLT)  As God’s own, we have the privilege of representing Him to the world, of sharing His grace and living in a way that causes us to know of the living God. Are you aware of that high and holy calling? Are you inviting the Holy Spirit to whisper God’s love to your heart?

We know that people who are secure in their identity, who enjoy a healthy self-esteem, do better in life. They are able to form and maintain relationships that are so important to personal success. They are much likely to misuse alcohol or use illicit drugs. They generally achieve more than those of the same innate abilities.  Our Heavenly Father forgives us our sins, frees us from shame and guilt, calls us into the family of faith, and gives us an eternal home. Yes, we are His treasured possession!  How I pray that you know that, that the truth will settle deep into your mind and heart.  Discover the truth about the ‘who’ and ‘what’ of God’s purpose for you in the first two chapters of Peter’s first letter in the New Testament. He knew the power of a new identity, the self-esteem that grew out of being accepted in Christ. He summarizes those chapters with this familiar passage. “You are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.”  (1 Peter 2:9-10, The Message)

Take this blessing from the Word. Live the promise today!  “Through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. … For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:6,14-19, NIV)

Abba, I overflow with gratitude that You would love me!
Who am I that you would regard me?
Yet, You call me Your very own, a treasured possession.
Let me go beyond knowing that and let me ‘feel’ it in my heart.
And, then Father, may your great love and amazing goodness
transform me so that the beauty of the Lord radiates from my life.

Jesus, may I love You with more than words.
Holy Spirit, let my heart be Your home.
Amen

No comments: