Wednesday, June 08, 2016

When God Stirs A Child's Heart

He’s just a little guy, 4 years of age, I believe. His grandmother called me yesterday to inquire about the lyrics to a song. It seems that during our worship service on Sunday she noticed that Ethan was emotional, some tears on his sweet face. Thinking that he was not feeling well, she asked what was the matter. It was the song we were singing that was touching his heart. That song? “Oceans”  “You call me out upon the waters, the great unknown where feet may fail. And there I find You in the mystery, in oceans deep my faith will stand.”  That’s not exactly “Jesus Loves Me,” is it? 
Joel Houston’s song speaks of walking through deep waters, life’s oceans, with Jesus at our side. It is an anthem of faith, with themes that are deep.  Bev and I listened to it often during her illness and it was our cry for faith to be sustained in our trials.  Yet, the Spirit used it to stir a little boy’s heart. My own face was wet with tears as I listened to the story, oh so thankful for the moving of the Spirit of God, and filled anew with wonder at His amazing ways.
Is your heart open to the Spirit, tender before Him ready to respond when He moves – in a song, by the preaching of the Word, in the words of a fellow Christian, through revelation of God’s love, in times of trial and suffering? Jesus explains that "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” (John 3:8, NIV) We need to let Him move as He wills, ready to catch the Wind of the Spirit and move with Him.
How easily our heart and head get stuffed with life’s responsibilities, calloused and scarred by our daily interactions. We can slip into an ‘adult’ skepticism, all the while just calling it being ‘realistic.’ A beautiful song that calls for faith cannot find a place in us, even in church, because we are either tuned out or arguing with God about why He does not do what we want Him to do. The sweet love of Jesus is lost to us if we are unwilling to experience wonder, too full of ourselves to let our joy or sorrow into the open. 
Jesus’ disciples were being ‘adult’ one day when some children came to Him. They felt He was too busy and important to be ‘bothered’ with some kids! What did Jesus do? "One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him. When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them." (Mark 10:13-16, NLT)  He loved those children and reminds us that we need a child-like heart in order to find God’s kingdom flourishing in our own lives!
Set aside your pretensions for a while today. Be a kid. Find the joy that the Lord provides in the moment. Pray simple prayers that are not about negotiating a deal with God but rather that just desires His Presence. Love God and others without reservation or calculation.
Ponder this word from the Word. "After they arrived at Capernaum and settled in a house, Jesus asked his disciples, “What were you discussing out on the road?” But they didn’t answer, because they had been arguing about which of them was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.” Then he put a little child among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, “Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not only me but also my Father who sent me.” (Mark 9:33-37, NLT)
__________
Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
 You call me out upon the watersThe great unknown where feet may failAnd there I find You in the mysteryIn oceans deep my faith will stand 
And I will call upon Your nameAnd keep my eyes above the wavesWhen oceans riseMy soul will rest in Your embraceFor I am Yours and You are mine
 Your grace abounds in deepest watersYour sov'reign hand will be my guideWhere feet may fail and fear surrounds meYou've never failed and You won't start now
 Spirit lead me where my trust is without bordersLet me walk upon the watersWherever You would call meTake me deeper than my feet could ever wanderAnd my faith will be made strongerIn the presence of my Saviour
 I will call upon Your nameKeep my eyes above the wavesMy soul will rest in Your embraceI am Yours and You are mine
 Joel Houston | Matt Crocker | Salomon Ligthelm
© 2012 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: