Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Recognized or Known? A real question for you

Revelation-3-20Acquaintance, friend, confidante, partner, lover – there are so many ways to know others. One of the joys of life is forming a friendship that matures into a deep, lasting bond. But, those kinds of relationships do not ‘just happen.’ We must invest ourselves in that person, asking questions, listening, living through ups and downs, forgiving, adapting, learning. Among my richest blessings are those in my life of whom I can say- "I really ‘know’ him."  Those people share more than recognition of name or face!
On this Tuesday of Holy Week, let me ask you to think about this question: Who is Jesus to you?  “When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, "Who is this?" The crowds answered, "This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee."  (Matthew 21:11, NIV) The crowds of pilgrims in Jerusalem for the Passover feast saw Jesus and they recognized Him. It is likely that many remembered Zechariah’s prophecy about the Messiah’s arrival on a donkey! (9.9) Still Jerusalem’s subsequent actions reveal an ignorance of His true identity. He had fed thousands with a boy's lunch. He preached the Kingdom come in their synagogues. He performed astonishing miracles. Yet, when asked who He was, they said, "Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth." He was their Messiah, God's Anointed One, sent to save them from their sins, but they could not or would not see that transforming truth.  Yes, they recognized Him, but yet did not know Him.
On Easter Sunday, people will stream into churches to recognize our Risen Lord, but will they know Him? 
  • Who is Jesus to you, friend?
  • It He "my wife's Savior" or "my parent's Lord"?
  • Is He the "great Teacher"?
  • Or, is He your Savior, Lord, Hope, and King?
You can know Him. When we seek Him, we find Him. When we hunger for Him, He satisfies us. When we follow Him, we become “friends of God!” He says, "Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends." (Revelation 3:20, NLT) One of the delights of life is discovering that Jesus is so much more than we imagine, at first. He will challenge us to examine our lives, disturb our assumptions, change us with His Presence. And, we will find, in Him, a richness of life that is simply not found in any other place.
Ponder this word from the Word today. "Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." (Philippians 3:8-12, NKJV)
Don’t settle for a mere acquaintance with Jesus. Know Him, growing deeper in your love for Him, starting today.
_______________
All I once held dear, 
Built my life upon,
 All this world reveres,
 And wars to own, 
All I once thought gain
 I have counted loss;
 Spent and worthless now,
 Compared to this.

Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You,
There is no greater thing.You're my all, You're the best,
You're my joy, my righteousness,
And I love You, Lord.
 Now my heart's desire 
Is to know You more,
 To be found in You,
 And known as Yours,
 To possess by faith
 What I could not earn; 
All surpassing gift of righteousness.
 Oh to know the power of Your risen life, 
And to know You in Your sufferings,
 To become like You 
In Your death, my Lord; 
So with You to live, and never die.
 Knowing You
Kendrick, Graham © 1993 Make Way Music (Admin. by Music Services)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: