Thursday, May 14, 2015

The love of a mother



Gio loves his Mom!  “Mum, Mum, Mum,” he chants in his little baby voice, a happy murmur.  He keeps his eye on her while she works about the kitchen.  He cries softly but his wide smile quickly returns when his Mom picks him up and puts him on her hip.  When a new person shows up, he holds onto her and shyly tucks his face into her neck.  The relationship of baby and loving Mom deeply stirs this Grandfather’s emotions! When Bev and I were parenting, we had very different but complementary roles. She was the nurturing mother, I was the encouraging father.  When one of our little ones was hurting, she soothed; I reminded them that they could recover and move on!  My own Dad, while very loving, would pick me up and dust me off, telling me – “It’s a long way from your heart, son, you’ll survive. Now dry your tears.

God, Who is most often known as “Father” also says, "I will comfort you there as a child is comforted by its mother.” (Isaiah 66:13, NLT)  Sometimes I need a mothering God, how about you?  The Lord is an eternal Father Who holds my life secure;  the sovereign ruler –  true and good! But, sometimes I need to feel the Presence of His Spirit, the holy Comfort of a nurturing God.  We must not miss or ignore the full revelation.  Isaiah teaches us that the Lord is a nurturing God. "Yet Jerusalem says, “The Lord has deserted us; the Lord has forgotten us.” “Never! Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for a child she has borne? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you!" (Isaiah 49:14-15, NLT)  Hosea describes God’s love in maternal terms, too. "It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I who healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them." (Hosea 11:3-4, NIV)

Jesus looked over the city of Jerusalem, knowing her sin and coming judgement, and He spoke tenderly of God’s holy desire to love and comfort her. “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." (Matthew 23:37, NIV)

Are you torn by temptation today?
Is sadness present?
Does your heart ache?

Let the Lord love you tenderly, like a mother.  To be sure, we err if we go too far and refer to God as Mother.  Some churches, responding to the whims of culture, expunge the paternal words from prayers and hymns.  There is no need to ignore the revealed Word in order to know and love God.  To be sure,  He reveals Himself primarily as our Father, as the Lord of Glory.  The Scripture does not allow us to fall into the idolatry of the ancient nature cults that worshipped the feminine.  There is, however, no wrong in knowing that God holds us near, that He knows our sorrow and pain, that He longs for us with a motherly love!

So, as I listen to little Gio love his Mama, I will take a lesson and let my God love me with a maternal love, too. I hope you will, too.

Here’s the word from the Word.
"My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God." (1 John 4:7, The Message)  
"My dear, dear friends, if God loved us like this, we certainly ought to love each other. No one has seen God, ever. But if we love one another, God dwells deeply within us, and his love becomes complete in us—perfect love! " (1 John 4:11-12, The Message)
_________

No comments: