Thursday, April 02, 2015

You can live confidently, today!



At the Passover, Jesus told the disciples that His time was near. Fearful words!  Later, on the short walk through the darkness to the olive grove where there was a garden called Gethsemane they tried to sort out their confusion. Once again, he told them “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: ”‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’" (Matthew 26:31, NIV) As He went to prayer, they fell asleep.

With a start they awoke when one of them saw the light of flaming torches coming their way. Tension rose, but Jesus would not run.  Danger came; Roman soldiers and armed temple police, accompanied by Judas. Jesus stepped forward, they fell back. He asked them who they sought. They answered that they were looking for Jesus. Judas moved forward and kissed the Master in betrayal, a signal that led the soldiers to seize Him. Peter, cornered and desperate, pulled a sword from his waistband and took a wild swing at the nearest man, who ducked, but not quickly enough to save his ear which was sliced away. Before further chaos could break out, the Man in custody showed amazing grace and leadership. He told Peter to put his sword away, asked the soldiers to let His disciples go, and then gently healed Malchus’ ear. He was not cornered at all. He was walking in His Father’s will. "Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?” (John 18:11, NIV)

How is it that men in the same place can experience such different responses? Many were full of fear, only One was full of faith. Jesus knew He was walking in the will of God. Oh, what a difference that assurance makes. Was He eager to suffer? Not at all.  Father, let this cup pass,” He prayed, but ultimately finished, “Not my will, but Yours be done.”  Secure in God’s grace, He found courageous confidence for that walk to the Cross.

Has life apparently cornered you, Christian? Are the problems overwhelming, the future clouded with no good choices? Is there no way out, no way around?

Study the men in the Garden and follow the One at the center, the One facing the greatest trial, Who knew the deepest peace. Kneel! Find your place in the Father’s will. Wrestle with the emotions. Jesus did! His stress was intense, His desire to walk away from the Cross, but He didn’t.  Instead, He submitted Himself to the plan of God. Faith is both a gift and a choice. God gives us His Word, the well from which faith flows.  But, we cannot live in faith’s assurance without the choice to accept and submit to that Word.

What has He said? Will you listen and obey? "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it." (Hebrews 4:16, NLT)

Here’s a word from the Word.
“Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
" (Psalm 61:1-3, NIV)
__________


You hear me when I call.
You are my morning song.
Though darkness fills the night
It cannot hide the light.
Whom shall I fear?
You crush the enemy underneath my feet,
You are my sword and shield,
Though troubles linger still,
Whom shall I fear?

I know Who goes before me!
I know Who stands behind!
The God of angel armies is always by my side.
The One who reigns forever,
He is a friend of mine.
The God of angel armies is always by my side!

My strength is in Your name,
For You alone can save.
You will deliver me
Yours is the victory!
Whom shall I fear?
Whom shall I fear?

(And) nothing formed against me shall stand.
You hold the whole world in Your hands.
I'm holding on to Your promises.
You are faithful,
You are faithful.

CCLI Song # 6440288
Chris Tomlin | Ed Cash | Scott Cash
© 2012 S. D. G. Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Sixsteps Songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 81005

No comments: