Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Hard Stuff

In high school my lower marks came in math classes.  Why? It was not because I could not do the work. Algebra just required more effort than other classes. I was a reluctant math student!  Portions of the Bible are like that for me today.  Reading the words of Ephesians lifts my spirit and my mind engages readily with the words of faith and hope.  Then, there are books that don’t yield their inspiration to me quite so readily. 
Our Wednesday Bible study group is currently working through the book of Daniel. Last night we ran into the 8th chapter. His vision of a ram and shaggy goat, each with multiple horns, demands mental effort. I am grateful for the scholarly work that others have done that help me to mine the truth that informs and encourages.  Nevertheless, it is still not a chapter for those in search of quick inspiration.
When engaged with one of the difficult parts of the Bible I must renew my understanding that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17, NKJV)   Daniel’s visions of the sovereign plan of God in human history, though hard for my mind to unravel, is every bit as valuable to my heart and mind as the comforting Psalm or the wonderful Gospel. After seeing how the Spirit showed that man things to come with the promise that the worst of human evil is limited by the decree of God, I was truly encouraged.
Christian, do you only read the passages that yield easily to your understanding?
Do you resist being a student of the Word, looking to the Holy Book for a sentimental lift?
Paul mentored Timothy, encouraging him to do the hard stuff, too. He said, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15, NIV)  The discipline of study is just as much a part of the mature Christian life as the discipline of prayer.   Remember Jesus asks us to love the Lord with "all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." (Mark 12:30, NIV)
Read the whole Scripture. 
Study the revealed truth.  
Let the Spirit show you the riches to be found even in the passages that we call the hard stuff.
Here’s the word from the Word today. "Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives." (Galatians 5:25, The Message)  “So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush.”  (Philippians 1:9-10, The Message)
____________
Break Thou The Bread Of Life (Lathbury)
Break Thou the bread of life, dear Lord, to me;
As Thou didst break the loaves beside the sea.
Beyond the sacred page, I seek Thee, Lord.
My spirit pants for Thee, O Living Word!

Bless Thou, the truth, dear Lord, to me, to me;
As Thou didst bless the bread by Galilee.
Then shall bondage cease, all fetters fall,
And I shall find my peace, my all in all.

O send Thy Spirit, Lord, now unto me,
That He may touch my eyes and make me see.
Show me the truth concealed within Thy Word,
And in Thy Book, revealed, I see Thee, Lord.

Alexander Groves | Mary Artemisia Lathbury | William Fiske Sherwin
© Words: Public Domain

No comments: