Monday, October 27, 2014

Like Dad?


 
I serve as pastor of the congregation that my father served before me for 29 years.  I hear this often – “The older you get, the more you sound like your Dad!” It’s not conscious imitation. DNA and training are probably equally responsible for the resemblance.  Phrases I heard him say find their way into my own conversations. His   The values were caught and taught and are engrained in my life.  I have another Father and I pray to live in His likeness.  How about you?

He is a loving Father, a rich resource.  And, He desires that we, too, live lovingly and generously.  Then, we are like Him.  Isaiah talks about living in the Father’s favor. "I’ll tell you what it really means to worship the Lord. Remove the chains of prisoners who are chained unjustly. Free those who are abused! Share your food with everyone who is hungry; share your home with the poor and homeless. Give clothes to those in need; don’t turn away your relatives.  . . .  Then your light will shine in the dark; your darkest hour will be like the noonday sun. The Lord will always guide you and provide good things to eat when you are in the desert. He will make you healthy. You will be like a garden that has plenty of water or like a stream that never runs dry. You will rebuild those houses left in ruins for years; you will be known as a builder and repairer of city walls and streets." (Isaiah 58:6-7, 10-12, CEV)

So how do we become like Him? How does this kind of love replace our natural love of Self?

First, we need to be born anew, His Spirit making our spirit alive.  John says that Jesus came into the world to make this possible for those who come to Him in faith. "To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God." (John 1:12-13, NIV)  The Holy Spirit comes to live in us and God’s nature becomes our nature. "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God." (Romans 8:14, NLT)  Does His life fill you?

Second, we must invest time to be with Him.  In my formative years I was always in the company of my Dad. From my infancy until entering school, he took me with him just about every day. I was his ‘sidekick.’   As a young adult, I worked alongside of him for a decade and his methods and manners rubbed off.  If we desire to be like our Father in Heaven, nothing can replace time in worship, in meditation, and in prayer.  Only then will His heart will become our heart.  

My desire, and I pray it is yours too, is that God, the Father, will see Himself reflected in me.  When He does, He will be pleased and say, “that’s my son!”  Don’t make the mistake of thinking that being like Him means being religious!  Go back and re-read that passage in Isaiah. God, the Father, does not seek long fasts, rituals, and sacrifices. He desires a heart  that loves and cares for the world He loves.

Here’s the word from the Word - “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16, NIV)

May they say of us – “You’re becoming more and more like your Dad every day!”
________________


A Man With A Perfect Heart

Let me be a man
With a perfect heart,
Let me be a son
Who will please You Father.
Let me be a child
Who reveals Your will
In all I do and say.
Fill me with Your Spirit
Lord, I pray, that Jesus
Will be seen in all of my life.
Let me be a son
Who will please You Father,
Let me be a man
With a perfect heart.

Jack Hayford
© 1995 Annamarie Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: