Friday, September 05, 2014

Ministry - a room and a pizza

The calls come, usually, round 9 PM, more in the winter months. Sometimes it is the person in need, sometimes a police officer who has found someone shivering on the street. A couple of years ago, one of those calls went like this: A scared voice announced, ‘Me and my friend got no place to sleep tonight. Belvidere (the county welfare office) blew us off. Can you help us, father?’  I drove to where these young adults (probably no more than 20 years of age) stood in the rain, cold and miserable, and took them to a local motel where I was able to secure a room for them. They had not eaten all day, so I bought them a couple of pizzas. Often those I help are not very grateful.  These people were truly thankful.
Driving home I thought about what I had done for them. They were warm and fed for one night, but how could I help them to stop living so desperately?  Those kids had greater needs for loving guidance, for help with life skills. As it turned out, I went back to see them the next day. Warm and fed, they were not too interested in talking with me. So, did I just waste time and $60 of God’s money?
ReligionCynics might say that getting involved with those many would label as ‘losers’ is a waste of time. I know that I get ‘used’ by people looking for a room and a pizza. But, my rule is one Jesus taught, "Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6:30-31, NIV) To me, this is ministry that is just as important as preaching the sermon in church on Sunday morning. It is a point where the Gospel of Christ becomes more than an idea! It happens because I am available and willing to participate in His work.
Do you ever ask - “what can I do for God?”   Some Christians think that only means doing  ‘church work.’  Teaching children, keeping up the church’s grounds, singing on the Worship team, or serving in leadership is important, however, ‘doing for God’ does not require holding a position in the church’s structure of ministries. We all can do His work and will have plenty to do, if we open our eyes to the needs of people around us.  Ministry starts with love.
One day, after He had engaged a sinful woman at a well in Samaria, bringing her to a moment of heart change, Jesus urged his friends to change their perspective. Instead of thinking God’s time and God’s work was in another time and place, He said, "I’m telling you to open your eyes and take a good look at what’s right in front of you. These Samaritan fields are ripe. It’s harvest time!" (John 4:35, The Message)
God’s only requirement of those who would serve Him is availability.  Yes, there are times of preparation and disciplines that increase our effective, but the most basic choice is to say “Here I am,. Lord. Use me!” That’s not as easy as it sounds! True ministry not an activity for the occasional evening. It’s a way of life.  Ministry won’t wait for a convenient moment on your day off. The Holy Spirit will not let us only do His work when we have time, or wait until we have ‘enough’ (time, money, energy – fill in the blank) before calling us. And, He does not allow you or me to choose to serve in the way that we think is fun or attractive to our personality. He calls us to serve with no reserve.
The happiest Christians I know are those who are up to their elbows in selfless service! When they participate in the work of the Lord – serving their family, teaching kids, feeding the hungry, … whatever He calls and equips them to do, they sense His smile.  Will you serve- today?  Take the opportunity to pray with someone whose heart is broken. Give a meal to someone who is hungry. Listen to that person who needs to know somebody values them. Speak up and invite somebody to receive the hope of new life in Christ. God will rejoice over you. What compares with His favor?
Here’s a word from the Word. Jesus said, “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “
The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’" (Matthew 25:31-40, NIV) 
_____________
True Religion
You came for the lost the sick and the blind,
With salvation and hope You gave to us free.
So, what will we do with this treasure we hold?
Let justice roll on like a river!
Let mercy shine bright as the sun!
Take care of the orphan and widow,
Take care of our own flesh and blood.

'Cause this is the way that You've call us to love,
To share what we have with the hungry and poor,
Put clothes on the naked,
And heal up the broken and torn;
True religion!
© 2008 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)
Ryan Delmore
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: