Friday, September 12, 2014

I’d like you to meet … introductions


When we bring a friend into a group we go through introductions.  “Pete, meet my friend, Joe.”  We proceed to share a little about each one helping to make a connection. Meeting a group of people whom I do not know is so much easier when there is someone who can introduce me.  When a speaker is invited to address a group someone is assigned to introduce him.  It’s the responsibility of that person to give the group a reason to listen!

There is an appointment in my future at which I will be introduced by none other than Jesus!  At the Throne of God, He will say, “Father, let’s welcome Jerry home!”  If sounds presumptuous to you, let me add that it’s not my goodness, desirability , or accomplishments on which my assurance rests. It is His grace and promise.  Jesus’ story about the Waiting Father lays the foundation our understanding of that glorious entrance. 
Luke 15 records a story that I believe Jesus told many times.  A son, arrogant and ungrateful, demands his part of his inheritance before his father has died and takes off to have a good time. And, party hearty he does!  When the money was gone, and all his ‘friends’ along with it, he finds himself at the bottom, broken in more ways than one.  He remembers his Dad’s good heart and plans to go home and make a deal to just live as a ‘hired hand.’

"So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him." (Luke 15:20, NIV)  The father through a party, publicly welcomed his son home, and put it back in full favor as his son with access to the family’s resources!  What a welcome.  Did the son deserve it?  Was the old man crazy? We might think so, but this is the scandalous story of God’s grace.

Jesus came to wipe out our sins and to give us complete assurance of our welcome.  He will make the introductions, covering us with His grace. Yes, the Lord did soberly remind us that when He calls us into His family, we are to carry His Name with honor.  If we are ashamed of Him, if we are unwilling to identify ourselves with His suffering, He will have to include those sad details in our eternal introduction.  My desire is to enter the Throne Room covered with grace and ready to meet my Father with joy, with no regrets.  I know that will happen because I trust in Him and His power to keep me.

I leave you with the words of Jude that form the benediction at many worship gatherings. Note Who keeps us, Who introduces, Who welcomes us.
Mediate on this promise and then start making some introductions of your own!  Yes, tell others, in ways that are Spirit-led and reflect the very best of grace:  “I’d like you to meet Jesus.”

"To him who is able to keep you from falling
and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy
to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority,
through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."
(Jude 24-25, NIV)

No comments: