Monday, August 18, 2014

Better than Chanel No. 5



So, Christian, you’re heading out into the world this week with an awesome privilege. Do you know what it is?  You are an ambassador of Christ’s realm!! Yes, God has credentialed you (and me!) to represent Him before our neighbors, friends, family … all those with whom we come in contact.  Read this commission carefully even though you may be familiar with it.  "God … gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Corinthians 5:18-21, NIV)

At the end of the day, what will people think of Jesus because of you?  Will they see the purpose that knowing Him gives us and want to join in His work of changing hatred to love, fear to faith?  Saving the world is an all-consuming purpose that He allows us to share. Will they see the generosity of spirit that being loved intensely makes possible and want to know His love, too?  Of course they might not get all that in just one encounter.  Like it or not, as we are identified as Christ-followers, others will form conclusions about Who Jesus is from the words we say, the attitudes we hang onto you, and the values that guide our choices.

Paul says that as we move through life, we leave behind a smell. To some, it’s a sweet scent. To others, it’s the stink of death!  "I am grateful that God always makes it possible for Christ to lead us to victory. God also helps us spread the knowledge about Christ everywhere, and this knowledge is like the smell of perfume. In fact, God thinks of us as a perfume that brings Christ to everyone. For people who are being saved, this perfume has a sweet smell and leads them to a better life. But for people who are lost, it has a bad smell and leads them to a horrible death. No one really has what it takes to do this work." (2 Corinthians 2:14-16, CEV)

What 'fragrance' will you leave behind in the rooms you pass through on this day? Will people 'smell' the sweet perfume of the holiness of Jesus on you?  Paul asks, "And who is adequate for such a task as this?"  You see, we can't splash on a little "Jesus" perfume to cover the stink of persistent and deliberate disobedience or hypocrisy! The fragrance of Christ permeates our lives ONLY WHEN we have spent time with Him, soaking in His Spirit which lets His character be created in us! Sit down and rest in His Presence. Invite Him to live in you. Then, your inadequacy will be wrapped and covered by His Presence. The 'fragrance' that trails you will be the sweet smell of LIFE, both pleasing to God and those who love Him!

Let me leave you with a little story my friend Marie Armenia told on Facebook last week about her Mom.  Keep in mind that Marie’s mom is 91 and has been a Christian for a long, long time.  She represented Jesus this way.  “During the course of our afternoon we saw a woman who had a tattoo on her wrist. She was waiting on my mom. My mother, who never met a stranger, took her wrist and said, "Oh, that's pretty." She asked her questions like, "Didn't that hurt when they were doing that?" She is, at 91, still VERY curious about EVERYTHING. And then.. as I knew she would.. my mother got around to The Gospel. My mother was not grasping what the woman was ACTUALLY saying. Until she finally said it bluntly, "I do not want Jesus in my life. I do not want Jesus." My mother was polite and loving to her, and a few minutes later we were on our way and back in the car. I looked over at my mother and huge tears were rolling down her face. She was crying about the choice the woman made. She was praying for the woman and so brokenhearted for her. I realized then that I was seeing the Heart of God sitting in the front seat of the car next to me. I was seeing God's heart for humanity: pleading, calling, wanting none to perish;  not angry and vengeful but brokenhearted and mournful when anyone rejects His Only Son.”

So, how do you smell to the world as you pass through it?  I pray that the fragrance of Jesus leaves an unforgettable impression on others through you today.
_________________

Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me,
All His wonderful passion and purity.
O my Savior divine, all my nature refine,
‘Till the beauty of Jesus be seen in me.
-           Albert Orbson, public domain

No comments: