Thursday, July 24, 2014

God's chisel, shaping us into true beauty




What has broken your heart? Rejection will do it! Disappointment will surely bring on sadness. Aging often brings a sense of loss, too. The ‘unfairness’ of life broke the Psalmist’s heart. "But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from the burdens common to man; they are not plagued by human ills." (Psalm 73:2-5, NIV) He looked around and wondered "Why me, Lord? I’m yours, a faithful servant, and You allow these things to happen to me?"

Grief is the chisel of the Lord.  It chips away at the grip we have on this present world.  Grief, properly directed, can reshape our lives around eternal treasures. I am convinced that suffering is God’s invitation to know Him well.  we will reach out to take hold of Him.  That same Psalm writer who wondered why moves through His sorrow and comes to deeper joy. "When I was beleaguered and bitter, totally consumed by envy, I was totally ignorant, a dumb ox in your very presence. I’m still in your presence, but you’ve taken my hand. You wisely and tenderly lead me, and then you bless me. You’re all I want in heaven! You’re all I want on earth! When my skin sags and my bones get brittle, God is rock-firm and faithful." (Psalm 73:21-26, The Message)


Jesus says, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." (Matthew 5:4, NIV) Are you sad, disappointed, rejected, lonely, afraid – grieving – today?  Look up. (Really. Actually do it, a symbol of looking to God) Pray a prayer of submission. “Lord, not my will, but Yours be done.”  Quiet your words and, with hands extended palms up, receive His comfort by faith.  Yes, many of us pray for a life free from grief.  We are not sure we want to allow our hearts to be broken. However, those who will not let their affections to be fixed to the love of their Father and His promise of a forever home are doomed to living superficially and loving things that will inevitably slip through their fingers regardless of their determination.

Put your hope in God! The Preacher says that there is "a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance." (Ecclesiastes 3:4, NIV) When the sorrows come, let them cause you to love the things that you can never lose and the One who holds life everlasting more.

Here’s the word from the Word. "Sing to the Lord, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. ... You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever." (Psalm 30:4-5, 11-12, NIV)
_______________


Father, You are my portion in this life
And You are my hope and my delight.
And I love You, yes, I love You,
Lord, I love You, my delight.

Jesus, You are my treasure in this life
And You are so pure and so kind.
And I love You, yes, I love You,
Lord, I love You, my delight.

My Delight

Park, Andy
© 1987 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)
CCLI License No. 810055 

No comments: