Monday, June 30, 2014

It's the best feeling

Her thousand watt smile lit up the stage.  She’s a born performer and you can see she is hungry for the applause. She pours herself into her music, heart and soul. I smiled as I watched her and realized that similar desires live in me.  
Well, who doesn’t like appreciation
?
Little kids crave their parents’ words of praise. “Thank you,” said sincerely, is a kind of blessing.


There is an affirmation that I desire more than any other: the approval of the Lord.  I keep in mind His promise that He will never forget or overlook.  Won’t it be the best feeling to hear Him say, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things… Come and share your master’s happiness!” (Matthew 25:20-21, NIV)?

Kierkegaard, a 19th century theologian, wisely reminds us that our lives should be lived in worship that is focused entirely on God.  We look to Him only; the ‘Audience of One.’   Knowing that, we aim to answer just one question: am I pleasing Him?  There is such freedom for the man who chooses to seek that reward. He can stop polishing his reputation; no longer needs to ‘buy things he doesn’t need to impress people he doesn’t like.’  He can let others mis-judge, overlook, and even ignore him without becoming mean, miserable, or mopey!


If Abba is smiling, all is right in my world. How about you?  Ironically, the less we crave the approval of others and get ourselves right with God, living authentically and humbly before Him, a heart-deep beauty will radiate from us. Make your life one of worship. Yes, pour out your song, do your work, speak your words – not to get the crowd’s applause, but for His approval. David’s Psalm captures that kind of life with his prayer: “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14, NLT)  Matt Redman’s song, Heart of Worship, says, “I’ll bring You more than a song for a song in itself is not what You have required.  You search much deeper within through the way things appear. You’re looking into my heart!” © 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)


Do something radical today. Sing to God alone. Send an anonymous note of encouragement and be content to let only God know it. Give a gift of kindness to someone who is incapable of returning the favor, knowing that God sees. Serve and don’t look around to see if anybody is watching. Let your soul dance for your Daddy!

The person who looks to Heaven for applause can join Paul in this rock-solid hope. The old apostle was near the day of death, had suffered terrible abuse from Christians and the systems of the world.  But, he knew God’s smile and was eagerly anticipating a rich reward. May his last words be our words to live by.  “I’m about to die, my life an offering on God’s altar. This is the only race worth running. I’ve run hard right to the finish, believed all the way. All that’s left now is the shouting—God’s applause! Depend on it, he’s an honest judge. He’ll do right not only by me, but by everyone eager for his coming.” (2 Timothy 4:6-9, The Message)
________________

Beautiful Things (watch the music video, click on title)

All this pain-

I wonder if I’ll ever find my way?
I wonder if my life could really change,
At all?

 All this earth-
Could all that is lost ever be found?
Could a garden come up from this ground,
At all?

You make beautiful things;
You make beautiful things, out of the dust.
You make beautiful things,
You make beautiful things out of us.

All around-
Hope is springing up from this old ground!
Out of chaos life is being found,
In You!

You make me new,
You are making me new!

You make me new,
You are making me new!

Lisa Gungor | Michael Gungor
© 2009 worshiptogether.com songs (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: