Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Fish, Coffee, Creation, and ?



Nate talks about fishing and his voice rises with excitement. “I caught three at Spruce Run that were this big,” he tells me as he describes the spot. Yes, he loves to fish.  To me, fishing is just another way to get a sunburn.   
Sean knows coffee.  The details of the roast, the source of the beans, the temperature of the brew are issues of importance to him at his shop where he aims to create a place where people can enjoy good company and great coffee. I enjoy a good cup of coffee, too, but I’m content with brewing mine each day from a good old standard supermarket brand.   
Terry cares about God’s creation. He wants all of us to love creatures, to respect the earth, and to eat locally grown vegetables.  His intensity has stirred interest in me in a subject about which I had little knowledge previously.

What are you passionate about? What makes your eyes light up, your heart beat faster?  

I love passionate people!  Yes, they are often fanatical, sometimes opinionated, and even ready to push us to their position. But, they change others because they care. There are some people who have given up on caring about much of anything, who comes home to stare at the TV all evening long without stirring.  They are filled with apathy.  Perhaps they are so overwhelmed by troubles that they  “just don’t care” about anything.  And, tragically, some are just too lazy in heart and mind to engage with life.  Content to drift, they exist.

God calls us to zeal!  When a religious man came to Jesus asking about the highest and most important choice in life, He answered him this way. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matthew 22:37, NIV)  In other words, be passionate in your pursuit of God!  Are you? Is the Lord the after-thought at the end of the day or the first thought at the dawn?  When you are blessed is He the One to whom you give thanks first? When you are broken or torn, is He the One you turn to for solace before all others?  Is His Presence your richest resource?  Those with passion for the Lord know the meaning of these words: "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:25-26, NIV)

Let’s not confuse religion with relationship. Paul warns about caring more for the traditions than the One to whom they should point. "I know what enthusiasm they have for God, but it is misdirected zeal. For they don’t understand God’s way of making people right with himself. Refusing to accept God’s way, they cling to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law." (Romans 10:2-3, NLT)  Think long and hard about this – do you know the Lord or just about Him?  Christ is the core, the very heart, of those who are passionate about Him.  Every other decision is shaped by love for Him. 

Do you know Him that way, Christian?  Here’s the word from the Word.
"Young lions on the prowl get hungry, but God-seekers are full of God." (Psalm 34:10, The Message)
"But all who are hunting for you— oh, let them sing and be happy. Let those who know what you’re all about tell the world you’re great and not quitting." (Psalm 40:16, The Message)
"Keep your eyes open for God, watch for his works; be alert for signs of his presence." (Psalm 105:4, The Message)
____________

One Pure And Holy Passion

Give me one pure and holy passion!
Give me one magnificent obsession!
Jesus, give me one glorious ambition for my life;
To know and follow hard after You.

To know and follow hard after You,
To grow as Your disciple in the truth,
This world is empty pale and poor,
Compared to knowing You, my Lord.
Lead me on and I will run after You.

Mark Altrogge
© 1988 Dayspring Music, LLC (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
Sovereign Grace Praise (Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: