Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tears by the bucket


I am no stranger to sorrow. Pastors spend a lot of time in the presence of people who are going through dark valleys. But, this time ‘round the sorrow is mine. "You have fed us with sorrow and made us drink tears by the bucketful." (Psalm 80:5, NLT) "My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you." (Psalm 42:3-6, NIV)  I once read those kind of Psalms as beautiful poetry. Now, they are prayers, mine!  With great hope I cry out, "Restore our fortunes, O LORD… Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." (Psalm 126:4-5, NIV) It is not despair, for I am not without hope. It is deep sorrow, pain that is unyielding. Oh, I know I am not alone. I empathize with the pain of those with broken hearts much more these days. I weep for those who are refugees, who live with abuse, who suffer and I pray!

This broken world is full of suffering. Oh, I know the theology that explains the Fall: that Adam sub-let the Creation to evil with his disobedience. Still, I wonder why.  There are no answers, right now.  But, I know that God sent His Son Jesus to save us- from our sins and from the destiny of destruction.  In that salvation there is a wonderful, wonderful promise. Yes, when His kingdom comes, tears will dry. When the struggle’s over, God will draw us close and dry our tears!  "I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” (Revelation 21:3-5, NIV)

Are you crying? Is your heart broken? Don’t rush about trying to hide from the pain in activity. Don’t try to numb your soul by turning up the noise or burying yourself in drink or diversions. I hear you, “But why not, Jerry?”  Because those things are no balm for the soul. Instead, wait on God. Sit quietly. Let tears flow. Accept the love of friend and family, even from those who repeat words that grate on you, even from those who have never hurt in the way that you do. Pray for protection from cynicism that turns people into ugly, self-absorbed, and mean being! Suffering can, if we allow it, make us into beautiful people; full of grace, tender, and with an other-worldly grip on eternity.

And remember …  He will wipe every tear” from our eyes. Gordon Jensen wrote a song with this memorable line, “God weeps along with man and takes him by the hand, tears are a language God understands.”   Are the tears ready to fall today?  Has the disappointment, the pain, the unrelenting struggle with the curse of sin nearly broken you in two?

Go ahead and cry. Find a place alone with Him and let the tears that fall become a wordless prayer for renewal of hope, for healing, for forgiveness.  Then, with courage, offer up a sacrifice of thanksgiving even as you pray for the grace to hold onto the hope that He will someday wipe every tear, and even the memory of those things which make you cry, from your eyes forever.

_______________

There is coming a day
When no heartaches shall come,
No more clouds in the sky,
No more tears to dim the eye.
All is peace forevermore
On that happy, golden shore.
What a day, glorious day that will be.

What a day that will be
When my Jesus I shall see,
When I look upon His face,
The One who saved me by His grace.
When He takes me by the hand,
And leads me through the Promised Land,
What a day, glorious day that will be.

There'll be no sorrow there,
No more burdens to bear,
No more sickness, no pain,
No more parting over there.
And forever I will be
With the One who died for me.
What a day, glorious day that will be.

What A Day That Will Be

Hill, Jim
© 1955. Renewed 1983 Ben Speer Music (Admin. by Integrated Copyright Group, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: