Monday, May 12, 2014

Love your story, but . . .



People tell a lot of stories.  Pull up a chair among friends and listen to the conversation.  The words flow from one little story to another.  

In a past era, Sunday nights in my life were spent in church where ‘testimony time’ was standard practice.  Christians had the opportunity to tell a story, hopefully one that showed the power of God at work in their lives, a God-sighting in this world. Some were exciting, many were predictable, a few memorable.  A personal story is compelling.  However, it is no substitute for the Word of God as we form our convictions about the Truth.

What your pastor thinks, what your best friend believes, what your favorite author writes is helpful in shaping your understanding but only the Holy Scripture is “useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.”  (2 Timothy 3:16-17)  Can our story give a context to the Scripture’s principles? Yes, and it is good to talk about that!  The Bible teaches us that faith is basic to knowing and serving God. That’s a conviction. Learning from others about how they learned to live in faith is valuable.

Make sure you don’t have a second-hand Christianity.  It’s not enough to know some good stories about God’s work in the lives of great Christians. Know what God is saying to you. "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15, NIV)

Can the Bible sometimes be dense and hard to understand? Yes, there are parts that I wrestle with to this day after spending 4 decades, day in and day out, studying and reading those words.  Are there portions of the Scripture that offend me? Yes, again. But, I approach the Word with humility, letting the Spirit speak to me.  Where I am unclear or unsettled, I wait on His revelation, coupled with study, and the correction of the Church’s body of doctrine.

On the other side of that coin, the Scripture is often wonderfully comforting and clearly instructive. With the Psalm writer I exult in God’s Words. "The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward." (Psalm 19:8-11, NIV)

So, I love your story, but it is no substitute for the revelation of the Truth given to me in the Holy Word. Let’s be students in the school of the Word, willing to learn, listening carefully, whose lives are rich with the eternal wisdom of God.

Pray this today …
“God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course.
Give me insight so I can do what you tell me— my whole life one long, obedient response.
Guide me down the road of your commandments; I love traveling this freeway!

Give me a bent for your words of wisdom, and not for piling up loot.
Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets, invigorate me on the pilgrim way.

Affirm your promises to me— promises made to all who fear you.
Deflect the harsh words of my critics— but what you say is always so good.
See how hungry I am for your counsel; preserve my life through your righteous ways! "
 Amen
(Psalm 119:32-40, The Message)

No comments: