Friday, May 16, 2014

Invested in Hope?



Invested in Hope?

I invest money in an account that has existed since I was about 30. When I send those funds off to my 403 (b) account, they ‘disappear.’  Would I enjoy hanging onto those dollars right now? Sure. But, I keep on sending funds there each month as I have done for many years. Why? Because I can ‘see’ a future when I will no longer produce an income. I am trying to prudently prepare for an era that still is over the horizon of time for me.

There are two quite similar phrases that have very different meanings.  We are urged to ‘live in the moment,’ to enjoy this day and the opportunities that present themselves. We cannot re-live yesterday. Tomorrow does not yet belong to us. Some suggest that we ‘live for the moment.’  That is a recipe for disastrous decisions. People who forget that there is a tomorrow become reckless and/or foolish. Jesus told a parable of a man who enjoyed a windfall of prosperity.  He forgot about God and eternity, living for the moment.  He decided to Take life easy; to eat, drink and be merry.” (Luke 12)

Christian, does an active hope of Heaven shape your choices today, or are you foolishly living for the moment?  Jesus was willing to endure the Cross because of the ”joy that was before Him,” the promise of Resurrection and restoration to the Father’s Presence.  Faith is the line that connects our decisions in the present us to the anchor of God’s promise of eternal life!  Hebrews 11, the Bible’s Hall of Faith, reveals the secret that kept people like Abraham, Moses, Joseph, and Rahab living in a way that pleased God. "Each one of these people of faith died not yet having in hand what was promised, but still believing. How did they do it? They saw it way off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they were transients in this world. People who live this way make it plain that they are looking for their true home. If they were homesick for the old country, they could have gone back any time they wanted. But they were after a far better country than that—heaven country. You can see why God is so proud of them, and has a City waiting for them." (Hebrews 11:13-16, The Message)

The things we hope for in this present life, the plans we make with the best intentions, may be frustrated by circumstances over which we have no control.  But, the hope of Heaven is secure and nothing can keep us from that which He has prepared for us.  Do you want to live most wisely today? Then, understand God’s eternal promise!  "Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be." (Matthew 6:20-21, NLT)
____________

In Christ Alone

In Christ alone, my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song.
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease.
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ, I stand!

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me.
From life's first cry, to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny!
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand.
‘Till He returns or calls me home.
Here in the power of Christ, I'll stand!

Keith Getty | Stuart Townend
© 2001 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: