Friday, March 21, 2014

10,000 Reasons



I took some time to “count my blessings” this morning. I remembered the first time I saw the woman whose been at my side for 40 years.  The summer of 1974 we fell in love and the memory makes me smile.  I remembered when my children were born, when God brought a beautiful little 4 year old girl into our family. I remembered marriages.   Memory is like a web, one story woven with another.  On the shelves of my memory, there are stories of changed lives, celebrations, milestone achievements, and God's wonderful works. In remembering my faith was strengthened. (If you know me, you know I shed some tears, too!)

It is important to mark the moments; both ordinary and stupendous, that God answers prayers, gives assurance, touches us with His joy. Many times in the Scripture, we read of memorials being built, records being written - just for the purpose of reminding future generations of the goodness of God.  Malachi tells us that "those who feared the Lord spoke with each other, and the Lord listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and always thought about the honor of his name. “They will be my people,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “On the day when I act in judgment, they will be my own special treasure. I will spare them as a father spares an obedient child." (Malachi 3:16-17, NLT) They remembered, praised, and made note!

After a spectacular experience of God’s provision, Joshua instructed Israel to "choose twelve men, one from each tribe. Tell them, ‘Take twelve stones from the very place where the priests are standing in the middle of the Jordan. Carry them out and pile them up at the place where you will camp tonight.’ ... We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future your children will ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ Then you can tell them, ‘They remind us that the Jordan River stopped flowing when the Ark of the Lord’s Covenant went across.’ These stones will stand as a memorial among the people of Israel forever." (Joshua 4:2-7, NLT)

Is your faith taking a beating in life right now?  Does it seems that God is far away, that some difficulty is too big to overcome?

Take a few moments for a memory review. Bring to mind a victory or two from your past and thank God! If you can't remember one from your own 'faith story,' then borrow one from some Christian's biography and thank God for His faithfulness to them; or, review a story from the Bible - Daniel in the lion's den when God showed up and closed the lion's mouth; young David on the field of battle confronting Goliath in the name of the LORD of Israel; or Paul and Silas in the jail in Philippi singing worship songs at midnight until God rocked the house!

"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name." (Hebrews 13:15, NIV) Let's not misunderstand this directive of the Word. It is not just an encouragement to optimism.  It is more than positive thinking!  Praise restores our place before God, helps us to renew our appreciation for His greatness, and restores our faith to receive His care.  Praise renews our hope given to us through Jesus Christ. We bring our worshipful praise to Him as a sacrifice, which He finds deeply pleasing.

Go ahead, offer a sacrifice of praise right now. Make it sincere, even if it's simple. Then, add another and another. Soon, you will have discovered the amazing power of praise, for praise ushers us into the Presence of God, where "we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most." (Hebrews 4:16, NLT)

______________

10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord)


The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning.
It's time to sing Your song again!
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me,
Let me be singing when the evening comes.

You're rich in love and You're slow to anger.
Your name is great and Your heart is kind.
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing,
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
O my soul!
Worship His holy name!
Sing like never before
O my soul.
I'll worship Your holy name.

And on that day when my strength is failing,
The end draws near and my time has come.
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending,
Ten thousand years and then forevermore.

Worship Your holy name
Worship Your holy name

Jonas Myrin | Matt Redman
© 2011 Said And Done Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
SHOUT! Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

No comments: