Monday, February 17, 2014

Wealth-building



Sunday was a day full of activities- prayer, preaching, people, and yes, problems!  In the afternoon, I found out that an entry porch at one of our church's buildings had collapsed when heavy snow pulled it down.  Parking lots were icy despite $’s (lots) spent to clear them.  
 Despite all these things, as my day came to close about 8 PM, while I was driving to my home, I thought about the dozens of interactions with others that brought joy. I reviewed the list of faithful servants who are committed to the work of God’s kingdom. In that moment, an old song echoed through my mind.  How rich I am since Jesus came my way, redeemed my soul and turned my night to day. How very rich I am!”  A summary of my financial net worth wouldn't qualify me as a wealthy man. But I am rich!

God has allowed me to know His grace, repeatedly, during my life.  He has used me, a flawed man, to pour His grace into the lives of others, often through my scars, marks left where He has healed me. He blesses me to love and be loved by many - in my family, in the church I serve, and in this world. Yes, I am a rich man! "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich." (2 Corinthians 8:9, NKJV) I am a son of God and my Father has written me into His will, making me an heir of incredible wealth. I exult in this great wealth. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you." (1 Peter 1:3-4, NIV)

I encourage you to include ALL of your wealth when you're doing an inventory of life.  My bank accounts are not the sum of my wealth. Only when I look count my blessings do I see my true wealth.  The invisible riches of my inheritance in Christ changes the bottom line on the balance sheet of life considerably.

What kind of wealth are you striving for? Where is your treasure?  Are you measuring your wealth by the amount of resources you are able to keep in store in a 401(k) or by the performance of your financial portfolio?  Or are you committing to building true wealth? There is nothing inherently wrong with material wealth, but the moment will come when the things of this world are left behind. Only the treasure stored in Heaven- through service, through generous giving, through loving others - will figure into the balance sheet then.  Be a real wealth-builder, as Jesus counsels. "Do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:31-33, NIV)

Here's a word from the Word to take along with you today. Think it over - maybe even jot it on a piece of paper - and let the Spirit guide you in applying it to your life -
"True humility and fear of the Lord lead to riches, honor, and long life."
(Proverbs 22:4, NLT)
______________________________

How Rich Am I

How rich I am since Jesus came my way,
Redeemed my soul and turned my night to day.
How very rich, how very rich I am!

Such peace and joy I never knew before.
And countless blessings from His boundless store.
How very rich, how very rich I am!

There's a greater glory in a sunset,
A brighter twinkle in a star,
There's much more promise in a rainbow,
More music in a singing bird by far;
All things have changed my eyes once blind can see,
The whole wide world is now a symphony,
And with all this, heav'n is my destiny,
How rich I am!

Author: Peterson, John W.Copyright: 1956.
Renewed 1984 John W. Peterson Music Company
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: