Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Burnt out?


A catch phrase that I heard often as a young preacher was 'I'd rather burn out for God than rust out.'  The intent was laudable, urging diligence in a cause of paramount importance. Souls needed to be rescued. Suffering people needed healing. Children had to be taught, disciples made. I internalized that idea without much critical thought.  However, the truth is that the choice between 'burnout' and 'rust out' is a false one.  
 
God orders our live with cycles of work and rest. He teaches us from His own creative work. We learn that "on the seventh day he rested from all his work." (Genesis 2:2).  Even the Almighty took time to rest!

What does burnout look like?  It shows in resentment, in cynicism, in feelings of helplessness. Burnt out people are overwhelmed by life's responsibilities. Everybody has days when multiple demands overload their schedule, when come to the end of day exhausted. Burnout is different!  A person who is suffering this way starts the day exhausted. While he may drive himself to work, his productivity is diminished, motivation derived from passion lost to duty.

Christians will almost certainly suffer from 'burnout' when they adopt a standard of perfection!  If he feels that he can never 'be enough'  he is at high risk. The call of Christ to a holy life of devotion is a worthy one and, to borrow Oswald Chamber's memorable phrase, requires 'my utmost for His highest.'  

However, experiencing Christ is never just about things we do.  If the focus of our faith devolves to counting hours spent in prayer, chapters read in our Bible, Sundays spent in church, or time invested in ministry work - burnout is nearly inevitable. We will become one of those drudges who occupy church pews, joyless, hanging on to God knows what, to stay out of Hell.  Christians must pray, take in Scripture truth, worship, and serve. These things prove nothing about worth or even devotion.  They are a means not an end. Jesus wants us to know Him even as we serve Him.

God calls us out of isolation and into His Church, into loving relationships. Why? Because deep, intimate, supportive friends are a primary defense against burnout! Spend a couple of hours at a table with people who know you, who listen to your stories, who make you laugh, and you will feel renewed. Share a passion for some project with 3 or 4 other like-minded Christians and you will multiply your effectiveness and find joy in the journey! 

Practice God's own 'Sabbath' principle faithfully. (Careful, we are incurably religious and we can turn even this gift into a rule and a curse.)  Genesis says,"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning-the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done." (Genesis 1:31 -2:3, NIV)  

Reflect! See what's done.  
Rest! Break the drive of endless demands and rest.  Christians never stop'being' but they must take a break from 'doing.'

In the interest of authenticity, I must confess that I have far too often allowed myself to be driven by the work of ministry. (Thank you for praying for me to be wiser.) Only recently have I started to grasp the very real danger of hurting the very people I serve if I burn out.  

Let's learn how to pursue Him with passionate diligence, renewed by days of rest, reflecting on the journey with joy.  Jesus calls us to 'life to the full,' promises us joy.  Meditate on this word from the Word and see what the Spirit is saying to you today. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30, NIV)  Eugene Peterson offers this commentary on that passage - "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)

Now that sounds like a life I want to live. How about you?
________

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)

You call me out upon the waters,
The great unknown where feet may fail.
And there I find You in the mystery,
In oceans deep my faith will stand.

And I will call upon Your name,
And keep my eyes above the waves,
When oceans rise.
My soul will rest in Your embrace,
For I am Yours and You are mine.

Your grace abounds in deepest waters,
Your sov'reign hand will be my guide.
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me,
You've never failed and You won't start now.

Oh and You are mine!

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders.
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me.
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour.

I will call upon Your name,
Keep my eyes above the waves.
My soul will rest in Your embrace,
I am Yours and You are mine.

Joel Houston | Matt Crocker | Salomon Ligthelm
© 2012 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: