Thursday, January 09, 2014

Wherever He leads ...



Wherever He leads

The beat-up little trailer sat at the end of a dirt lane, surrounded by old lawn furniture. It wasn’t, by any stretch, a place that promised a new member for the congregation. But, a man was dying and had called for a pastor to come, so I was there.  I knocked on the door which bore the ominous sign, “Come in here and I will kill you.”  The tiny room was mostly filled with an obviously very sick man in a bed. When I introduced myself, he began to cry and we talked about his spiritual journey, one that started with godly training but went off course along the way.  Our conversation was touched by the Spirit of God and that decrepit trailer became a holy sanctuary for a few moments, where God did what He alone can do- brought one of His children back home!   And, it all started with a phone call and a response.

Are you waiting for some big break in life before you get on with doing whatever it is that God wants you to do?  Are you telling Him that you will start to serve Him when the kids are grown, when you don’t work so much overtime, when you are able to move to another place, get more education … ?  The Scripture demands that we "make the most of every opportunity." (Colossians 4:5, NIV)  The youth pastor at our church is working on a paper for a seminary class on the topic of the work of the Holy Spirit.  Eric made this observation. “Ask a Christian the role of the Holy Spirit and you'll receive answers about how He "Comforts" "Teaches" "Sanctifies" "Convicts of Sin" "Empowers" "Gifts" all of which are true answers. It may not be the first answer we would think of, but reading Acts, there are instances when the Holy Spirit interrupts (Acts 10:44-46, Acts 11:14-16). A person has an agenda, and the Holy Spirit gets in the way-- always for good reason. I wonder if I am open to the Holy Spirit's interruptions in my daily life or am I too set on my own ways,  my ideas, my agendas, my meetings, and my obligations? May I be open to His workings in my daily life and submit to His interruptions instead of insisting on my own way.

Most of God’s work will not be accomplished with big crowds, notable results, or culture shifts. Jesus said that the Kingdom of Heaven (God’s work and rule) is like a mustard seed. "It is the smallest of all seeds, but it becomes the largest of garden plants; it grows into a tree, and birds come and make nests in its branches.” (Matthew 13:32, NLT)  He also said the Spirit works like yeast. “The Kingdom of Heaven is like the yeast a woman used in making bread. Even though she put only a little yeast in three measures of flour, it permeated every part of the dough.” (Matthew 13:33, NLT)  The Spirit is persistent and permeating, working in us, through us if we will submit to His leading, listening intently, setting aside our preconceptions of where and how we must serve.

Young Mom, are you looking for opportunities to serve the Lord and failing to see the one sitting in that high chair in your kitchen?
Old man, are you waiting for a place to use your ‘gifts,’ and missing the moments to care and share that you have with your next-door neighbor?
Do you pray for a pulpit without realizing that every Christian’s life preaches a powerful sermon every day?

There is a phrase in the middle of Acts 11, which tells the story about Peter’s call to the Gentiles.  He was praying intently when God gave him a dream that made little sense.  Animals considered ritually unclean by Jews were presented to him for dinner! He refused to eat them, and God told him, “do what I say!”  Shortly thereafter, some men came knocking on his door inviting him to come and tell the Jesus story to a Roman centurion named Cornelius. He obeyed, taking the opportunity presented, and the entire household was converted.  In the middle of his report to the church leaders he told them - "And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting." (Acts 11:12, KJV)

Where and to whom is the Spirit leading you today? Do not be so sure you know until you have listened intently for His voice.
_________________

I Will Follow

All Your ways are good,
All Your ways are sure.
I will trust in You alone.
Higher than my sight,
High above my life,
I will trust in You alone.

Where You go, I'll go.
Where You stay, I'll stay.
When You move, I'll move.
I will follow You.
Whom You love, I'll love.
How You serve, I'll serve.
If this life I lose,
I will follow You.
Yeah, I will follow You, yeah.

Light into the world,
Light into my life,
I will live for You alone.
You're the One I seek,
Knowing I will find,
All I need in You alone.
In You alone.

Chris Tomlin | Jason Ingram | Reuben Morgan
© 2010 SHOUT! Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
sixsteps Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

No comments: