Friday, January 10, 2014

Happy Anniversary!



On a personal note

Today Bev and I celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary. She is the best thing that ever happened to me, my best friend, my partner.  We were just kids when we married - 19 and 20 years of age – but from the first we gave ourselves to Him first, and that has been the key to the endurance of our love. We know firsthand the truth that "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor." (Ecclesiastes 4:9, KJV) "And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken." (Ecclesiastes 4:12, KJV)  In these four decades we have pursued vocational ministry together in four congregations.  We have great kids.  We have created a ton memories about the faithfulness of God and the power of love.

It’s not all been sweetness and light. (Is any marriage ever that?) We sailed through some rough waters over these years. Bev endured a head-strong young husband in those early years! As newly-weds, we trekked across the country, she without complaint, in pursuit of my dreams of changing the world. Our Wyoming chapter, as we call it, is one of our treasured shared experiences!  I waded through a few years when Bev struggled with the stresses of being 'Mommy' to four energetic kids. Like many young husbands, I overflowed with compassion and empathy. (Not!) All four of our children were teenagers at the same time. To those who are parents, need I say more? Our innate styles of parenting were so different, we spent as much feuding with each other as we did guiding our kids, or so it seemed at the time. But, today we are friends with them all and proud of the people they have become. As we entered the second decade of our marriage we saw some dreams die and I found myself fighting with depression. Bev stood alongside of me through it all, and was my most faithful advocate before the Lord.

When she had completed the Mom chapter and became an outstanding first grade teacher, I was so proud of her. 

I would not be who I am today with her. She would say the same of herself. We have become Jerry/Bev- neither just Jerry or just Bev. Both of us are stronger together than we could possibly be apart.  39 years together and so very thankful for the faithful care of the One who has led us all this way! I confess that sometimes I wonder what lies ahead in this thing called – life! Through it all, we have loved and laughed as our love grew mature. Yet, still it sparkles with the same kind of passion and excitement we felt as two kids. Happy Anniversary, Bev – I love you!

______________________________

"Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
She is more precious than rubies.
Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." (Proverbs 31:10-12, NLT)

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.
When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness.
She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.

Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her:
“There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!”

Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
Reward her for all she has done.
Let her deeds publicly declare her praise." (Proverbs 31:25-31, NLT)

2 comments:

GramiePamie said...

How very wonderful, and may the Lord bless and favor you with His Presence today!

GramiePamie said...

How very wonderful! May the Lord bless you and favor you with His Presence today. Thank you for all the things you share. You are a great encouragement to me and my husband...of 41 years!