Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Too busy being religious?



“What does she think? I work hard to provide for her and the kids. Of course, I love her.”  More than one husband has talked over his marriage with me, puzzled about his wife’s unhappiness.  Often they point to their work, the vacation they paid for, the home they bought, or some other ‘thing’ as evidence that they love their wives. (Yes, it is a ‘man thing’ apparently because I cannot recall ever hearing a woman use the same line of thought.)  I sometimes ask, much to the man’s shock and dismay, “Do you feed your dog, provide vet care, give it a bed, a warm place of shelter? So how do you treat your wife differently from the family’s dog?”   
As you may imagine, the conversation often gets tense!  My goal is help him to see that love is more than duty. It’s intimacy, making a connection, giving value to another.

Not a few Christians adopt the same mistaken idea – that doing things for Jesus is the same as loving Him!  They make the assumption that because they are faithful in church attendance, give generously, remain scrupulously moral, and … (it’s a very long list for some) – that they are ‘loving the Lord.’  It is quite possible to be very religious and yet to have no real love for God.  Isaiah was inspired by God to speak to ancient Jerusalem, a very religious city, observing their lack of real devotion. “These people say they are mine. They honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. And their worship of me is nothing but man-made rules learned by rote." (Isaiah 29:13, NLT)  Jesus told John to write to the church in Ephesus, where he had been a pastor, about the state of their hearts. "I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men…  Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love." (Revelation 2:2,4, NIV)

A long time ago, Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand (Yep, I’m that old!) sang a plaintive song about lost love that included these lyrics:
You don't bring me flowers.
You don't sing me love songs.
You hardly talk to me anymore,
When you come through the door,
At the end of the day.
You don’t bring me flowers anymore.

Our devotion must include both faithful and consistent serving and our heart’s engagement! It’s not one or the other.  A husband who romances his wife with gifts but fails to make the mortgage can’t claim to love her completely.  A Christian who sings love songs to Jesus but seldom does anything for His church is not living up to his calling, either.  That is why Jesus tells us that we are to love Him with “all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind." (Luke 10:27, NIV)  He wants to be the core of our being (heart), the center of our emotions (soul), the focus of our life (strength), and the intent of our thoughts (mind).  

Are you just religious, or do you love Jesus?  It is a real question. The word from the Word is a challenge and an invitation, from the our Lord and Love.
“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ … I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

“Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne. “Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches.”
 (Revelation 3:15-22, NLT)
______

I Love You Lord

I love You Lord,
And I lift my voice,
To worship You,
O my soul rejoice!
Take joy, my King,
In what You hear,
May it be a sweet, sweet sound
In Your ear.

Laurie Klein
© 1978, 1980 House Of Mercy Music (Admin. by Maranatha! Music)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: