Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I want results!



“What’s the bottom line?” a good manager asks. He’s looking for results, wanting to know the return on investment. I am a practical man; one who despises time-wasting, failure to meet deadlines, and inefficiency. My personal code is simple. Show up on time. Do your best. Stay focused.  In most situations those choices produce a good outcome.

A couple of years ago, I made a choice to do what I believed God wanted me to do that required my wife and I to turn our lives upside down.  The decision was costly, in every way. My expectation was that if I did the ‘right’ thing for the ‘right’ reasons, I the results would be good. So far, those expectations have gone unmet. To all appearances, the choices made were a waste of effort. Positive returns are non-existent. Using ‘return on investment’ measures, my choice is a ‘fail.’   

Or, is it? Reflecting on this prayerfully, I realized anew that some investments take more time to produce a return. Sometimes faithfulness is its own reward, with no measurable results in the short-term.

Paul, a man who worked hard at his calling, was mocked by some Christians because of his numerous persecutions and hardships. Looking at the meager results he enjoyed from his efforts, they saw only failure!  In his first letter to the church in the city of Corinth, his words drip with sarcasm as he replies to their judgment.  "You think you are already rich. You have begun to reign in God’s kingdom without us! … Our dedication to Christ makes us look like fools, but you claim to be so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are so powerful! You are honored, but we are ridiculed. Even now we go hungry and thirsty, and we don’t have enough clothes to keep warm. We are often beaten and have no home. We work wearily with our own hands to earn our living. We bless those who curse us. We are patient with those who abuse us. ... I am not writing these things to shame you, but to warn you as my beloved children. For even if you had ten thousand others to teach you about Christ, you have only one spiritual father. For I became your father in Christ Jesus when I preached the Good News to you." (1 Corinthians 4:8-15, NLT)

It was true that Paul went through many trials. He did appear to fail, time and again. But note how he evaluated what others viewed as ‘failure.’ "But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God." (1 Corinthians 4:3-5, NKJV)  Two things were and are paramount –
waiting on God’s approval, and
realizing that He, alone, knows the real results.

Christian are you too results oriented?
Might you fail to please God because you desire ‘success’ too much?

Certainly  we can hide laziness, resistance to change, and even lack of accountability behind claims of ‘faithfulness.’ It is not wrong to ask hard questions of ourselves or others, but as servants of Christ we must always include the ‘eternity’ factor.  Ultimately we must listen intently for His direction, remain humble before Him, and hold to the course He sets.  And this is the promise for the faithful: “Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.” (Galatians 6:7-10 NLT)
____________

I Would Be True

I would be true,
For there are those who trust me.
I would be pure,
For there are those who care.
I would be strong,
For there is much to suffer.
I would be brave,
For there is much to dare.

I would be friend of all,
The foe, the friendless.
I would be giving
And forget the gift.
I would be humble,
For I know my weakness.
I would look up and laugh,
And love, and lift.

I would be learning,
Day by day, the lessons,
My heav'nly Father
Gives me in His Word.
I would be quick to hear
His lightest whisper,
And prompt and glad to do
The things I've heard
And prompt and glad to do
The things I've heard.

Howard Arnold Walter
Public Domain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on, Jerry! We plant; we water. God grows the bottom line. Am catching up again after a tour of Turkey where I had the privilege of walking in Paul's footsteps in Ephesus. Also loved seeing that old hymn from my childhood. Thanks. May you have a blessed Season of Expectation.
DJ