Thursday, October 17, 2013

Up's and Down's



After a full week of fruitful work, where results were evident, I was up. Elation buoyed my spirits, songs of praise readily found their way from my lips. “God is good,” I proclaimed.  Then, word came of the death of a friend two days ago. She is a godly woman, a dedicated mother, a faithful wife. She has struggled through pain and uncertainty for several years after the original discovery of the cancer that end her life on Tuesday morning. The day following word of her dying, I was filled with sorrow and struggled in no small part with anger. It was a real down time for me.  My experience is normal. Every person goes through seasons of success and failure, joy and sadness.  Wisely, Solomon reminds us  "On a good day, enjoy yourself. On a bad day, examine your conscience. God arranges for both kinds of days so that we won’t take anything for granted." (Ecclesiastes 7:14, The Message)

Evidence of maturity is the willingness to continue to trust and serve God at both ends of this the cycle. He is equally worthy of our praise when we are in the depth of the valley as when He is when we are on the height of the mountain. He uses both to shape us and to prepare us for His service.  In fact, the intense trials are often a means of discovering new truths about ourselves and our God.
In the Word, Paul urges us to adopt a perspective that sees the big picture!  He writes, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!... On the up days, remember to thank God. But, knowing that disappointment or sorrow will come, he tells us "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."... On the down days, remember to trust God. (Philippians 4:4, 6 NIV) It is steady faith that keeps us on course. -"I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am."  (Philippians 4:12-13, The Message)

Life changes. Jesus is the same.  Now that doesn't mean we must work at becoming robots.  Godly people enjoy vibrant emotions. They engage with the joy and the sorrows that are part of living, enriched but not controlled by their feelings.  Faith makes us steady, not stoic. When we are 'in Christ,' our lives are equally fruitful with the Spirit’s character in the darkest nights and the brightest noonday.  So, set your hope in Him. Pray that the Holy Spirit will mature a steady faith in you that remains evident in tears and laughter, because your life is anchored to the Rock. "...we ...have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us ... We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." (Hebrews 6:18-19, NIV)



10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord)

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning,
It's time to sing Your song again.
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me,
Let me be singing when the evening comes.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
O my soul,
Worship His holy name.
Sing like never before,
O my soul,
I'll worship Your holy name.

You're rich in love and You're slow to anger,
Your name is great and Your heart is kind.
For all Your goodness, I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find!

And on that day when my strength is failing,
The end draws near and my time has come.
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending,
Ten thousand years and then forevermore!

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
O my soul,
Worship His holy name.
Sing like never before,
O my soul,
I'll worship Your holy name.


Jonas Myrin | Matt Redman
© 2011 Said And Done Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
SHOUT! Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
sixsteps Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
worshiptogether.com songs (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: