Wednesday, October 16, 2013

He's Got The Power!



Mike and Ana inspired me!  They fled the Communist persecution in Romania in 1981, made a new life in the United States, and prospered. They never forgot Romania and, after the collapse of the Communist regime, returned often on outreach with other Christians.  Then four years ago, God called them to leave their comfortable life here behind. They became missionaries, living among the poorest of Romania. Their work is training young Christians of that country to establish churches there and to go to other nations of the region.  Over lunch, they talked of their desire to make a difference for Christ ‘with the few years left to us.’   And, it was evident that they lived in the Power of the Spirit’s Presence.  They do not just talk about the Lord, they know Him as Lord, Friend, Savior, and King. The Lord is using them to make a difference in a place others have forgotten.

When the Jews were allowed to return to Judah after 70 years of captivity in Babylon, they found the Jerusalem in ruins. The Temple was a ruin, the city walls broken down. The priesthood was decimated, the worship of the Lord non-existent.  Valiant leaders, Nehemiah and Zerubbabel, were commissioned by God to lead the re-construction but it was an impossible task.  But the preacher, Zechariah, urged them to get the Power! “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty." (Zechariah 4:6, NIV)  And, they did it! Judah was rebuilt, the Temple restored.

Personal enthusiasm and hard work are important, but more is needed to accomplish the Purposes of God.  As the pilgrims went to Jerusalem for the holy festivals, they sang, "Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." (Psalm 127:1, NIV) It reminded them that their strength was not in their armies, nor in their own cleverness. It was in their status as children of the Heavenly Father.  It remains true for us to this day.

Jesus promised that He would send us the Counselor and that the Spirit would empower us. “If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." (John 14:15-17, NIV)  The Spirit is a gift to us who will make us capable. We can do what others think is impossible by His power. What is the key to knowing Him? Obedience today.  If we will listen to Him- when He speaks with the Word (Scripture) and to our hearts with conviction – we will grow in strength, realizing the authority that comes from relationship.

We can see people changed from sinners to saints. We can see our own lives given a kind of quality that is greater than any earthly accomplishment. We can live in love, know peace, and experience joy in the middle of stress and struggle. How?  By presenting ourselves to the Lord and prayerfully accepting the Promise of the Spirit, right now. And, as He leads, we continue to say, “Yes,” to Him. And, “by his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope.” (Eph 3:20)

Are you struggling with habits that keep you from really serving the Lord?
Is your family drifting from the ways of God?
Do you look at the city in which you live and see great need?

Take the word from the Word. Pray it, believe it, live it!   “This is God’s Message to Zerubbabel: ‘You can’t force these things. They only come about through my Spirit,’ says God-of-the-Angel-Armies.
‘So, big mountain, who do you think you are? Next to Zerubbabel you’re nothing but a molehill.
He’ll proceed to set the Cornerstone in place, accompanied by cheers: Yes! Yes! Do it!’ ”
 (Zechariah 4:6-7, The Message)
_________

The Power Of Your Love

Lord, I come to You,
Let my heart be changed, renewed,
Flowing from the grace
That I found in You.
And Lord, I've come to know,
The weaknesses I see in me,
Will be stripped away
By the pow'r of Your love.

Lord, unveil my eyes,
Let me see You face to face,
The knowledge of Your love,
As You live in me.
Lord, renew my mind,
As Your will unfolds in my life,
In living ev'ry day,
By the pow'r of Your love.

Hold me close,
Let Your love surround me.
Bring me near,
Draw me to Your side.
And as I wait
I'll rise up like the eagle.
And I will soar with You,
Your Spirit leads me on,
In the pow'r of Your love!

  Geoff Bullock
© 1992 Word Music, LLC * (Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.)
Maranatha! Music
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: