Monday, July 29, 2013

Loving you enough to be truthful?



The depth of deception and dysfunction in the person’s life was astonishing.  Choices he had made were bringing terrible problems into his life.  As we talked, he wanted me to tell him he was fine, that he could continue to do what he liked to do.  I thought, “If I am honest with him, if I call his choices what they are, will he hear me? Will he feel judged and cut off from me?   "You Christians are so judgmental!" is an accusation frequently heard these days.  "Why can't you just accept people for who they are and let them alone?"   The questions are not really questions at all. They are hurled as indictments against Christ’s church.  As a result I find myself wondering, ‘What should I say?’  Do you wonder about that, too?

David Kinnaman, author of UnChristian, writes that his research confirms that many people outside of the Church, especially those who are young, view the Church's positions as condemning.   For some, the answer is to stop being truthful.  But, is that the right one?  Kinnaman say, "Some Christians respond to outsider's negativity by promoting a less offensive faith.   The more unpopular parts of Christian teaching are omitted or deemphasized.  They hijack the image of Jesus by portraying Him as an open-minded, big-hearted, and never-offended-anyone moral teacher.  That is an entirely wrong idea about Jesus.  He taught remarkably tough truths about human beings and about sin....   Softening the message of the Gospel is an utterly wrong response to the objections that people raise." - UnChristian, Baker, 2007    We do no favor to those who are slaves of greed, promiscuity, or selfishness if we comfort them with silence. Jesus says that the Truth sets us free.   He told the Truth and He ran headlong into hatred as a result.  Why do we think that we should be different?

There are two things that we sometimes do that are offensive.   

We offend if we are quick to point an accusing finger at  others without authentically dealing with our own sins!  The Pharisees loved to name the sins that they saw.  Jesus looked deeper and saw that they used their indignation to avoid dealing with their own sins.  Though less obvious than theft, adultery, or blasphemy, the Pharisee’s pride, greed, and self-righteousness were equally offensive to a holy God.  Jesus challenged them to deal with their own hearts.  "Don't just clean the outside of the cup," He said, "wash the inside, too."   If we hide our own failures behind righteous rhetoric we will find ourselves also condemned by the Lord! 

We offend if we are quick to indict people in their sin without offering hope for forgiveness and/or transformation.   In the 1980's when the issue of abortion was at full boil in the Christian church, I saw too much hatred and fear allowed into the discussion.  Pro-lifers went for the sensational, using incendiary words like ‘baby-killer’  or  ‘murderer.’  Grisly pictures were used to shock.  I  was then, and I continue to be convinced that abortion is a terrible evil, the taking of the life of an innocent and defenseless person, an act that is abhorrent in the eyes of God.   However, I refused to join the attacks on women.  Instead, I joined forces with several like-minded Christians to create a center where women could find answers, help, and practical care that would encourage them to obey God and choose life for their unborn child.   We forbade our staff from using manipulative tactics based in condemnation of fear.  Instead, we made an offer of life, based squarely on the truth.  I am convinced that when we are bold to speak truth, we must complete the story by offering the hope of redemption through Christ Jesus.

The Bible says,   "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, "This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’" From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." (John 1:14-17, NIV)   Did you notice a phrase that repeats twice?   It is this one:  "Grace and Truth."   Moses brought the Law, which told the Truth.  With the Law came the knowledge of sin and guilt that separated people from God.   Jesus did not set aside the holy requirements of the Law, but He brought Grace that gives forgiveness and creates the possibility of transformation from the inside out.   Only by His grace are we restored to our Father, from Whom we receive the Spirit who empowers us to be holy.

As we represent the Lord to others,  we will inevitably run head-long into sin.  Called to be God’s voice, we cannot fall mute.  May our message include liberal amounts of the grace that is greater than all our sin.    Ponder this today.  This is the word from the Word. "God’s law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God’s wonderful grace became more abundant. So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God’s wonderful grace rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it?"  (Romans 5:20-6:2, NLT)

______________

Miracle In My Heart

We are called
To be prophets to this nation,
To be the word of God,
In ev'ry situation,
Change my heart,
Change my heart today.


Who'll be the salt,
If the salt should lose its flavor?
Who'll be the salt,
If the salt should lose its flavor?
Change my heart,
Change my heart today.

Lord, loose the chains of oppression.
Lord, set the captives free.
Lord, fill my heart with compassion.
Shine Your light, shine Your light,
Shine Your light through me!

Work a miracle in my heart!
Work a miracle in my heart!
Work a miracle in my heart!
O Lord, today.

Lord, take all my lies
And all of my greed,
Let me be a sacrifice
For those who are in need.
Change my heart,
Change my heart today!

Lord, without Your power,
It's all just good intentions.
Lord, without Your grace
Who could find redemption?
Change my heart,
Change my heart today.

Brian Houston
© 1998, 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: