Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Living in perpetual happiness?



Gerald Sittser, a devout Christian, was enjoying a family trip when a car driven by a drunk came around a curve. In a moment, he lost his mother, his wife, and his daughter.  Out of his anguish, he wrote A Grace Disguised, How the Soul Grows Through Loss.  He did not pretend that his loss was without pain. He did not indulge himself in sin to avoid the sadness. He endured it, carried the crushing burden, and from his searing experience shares this;  “The soul is elastic, like a balloon. It can grow larger through suffering. Loss can enlarge its capacity for anger, depression, despair, and anguish, all natural and legitimate emotions whenever we experience loss. Once enlarged, the soul is also capable of experiencing greater joy, strength, peace, and love. What we consider opposites—east and water, night and light, sorrow and joy, weakness and strength, anger and love, despair and hope, death and life—are no more mutually exclusive than winter and sunlight. The soul has the capacity to experience these opposites, even at the same time.”

The belief that those who are good Christians can live in perpetual happiness, always serene, never uncertain, is common and persistent. Somehow the promise of the joy of the Lord gets turned into an expectation that those of deep faith will avoid life’s trials. When that false hope merges with an experience of deep sorrow,  a person compounds his pain with unnecessary feelings of guilt or failure.  Let me state it plainly here: Real Christians go through dark valleys!  The great tragedy is that many Christians prefer a superficial faith and will do almost anything to avoid hard things, to go around rather than through experiences that can make God their treasure.

David endured much sorrow as he walked out God’s plan for his life. He lived for nearly 20 years in the shadow of King Saul’s jealousy. He had to deal with threats of death, irrationality, and isolation. Even David’s friends questioned his faith!  Was it easy for him? You judge as you read his song. “O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way? How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? How long will my enemy have the upper hand? Turn and answer me, O Lord my God! Restore the light to my eyes, or I will die. Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him!” Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall." (Psalm 13:1-4, NLT)  He longed for relief, but trusted God through it all!

This Passion Week we must remember that our Lord chose to go to the Cross. He was not forced. He willingly submitted Himself to the plans of the Father, enduring great sorrow and pain in the process.  In the garden, as he prayed, the Gospels say that He was in anguish!  “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground." (Luke 22:42-44, NIV)  The way to His highest purpose and greatest glory was through terrible suffering.  We should not expect a different way.  "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:" (Philippians 2:5, NIV) "And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross!" (Philippians 2:8, NIV) "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth." (Philippians 2:9-10, NIV)

Please do not wrongly conclude that you must seek out suffering, that you must work at causing yourself pain. The Word does not encourage misery for its own sake. Ascetism (denying one’s self pleasure or comfort) can be just religiosity, a vain attempt to earn God’s favor or impress other people.  The road to Glory, to an ‘enlarged soul,’ is one where we are led by the Spirit and should He choose to lead us along a darkened pathway, let’s walk it out with faith, authentically entering into the suffering and taking the grace offered by the Spirit in that moment.

Here are words from the Word. "For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." (Psalm 30:5, NIV) "Blessed are you who hunger now, For you shall be filled. Blessed are you who weep now, For you shall laugh. Blessed are you when men hate you, And when they exclude you, And revile you, and cast out your name as evil, For the Son of Man’s sake. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy! For indeed your reward is great in heaven. " (Luke 6:21-23, NKJV)
_________

My Life Is In Your Hands

You don't have to worry
And don't you be afraid
Joy comes in the morning
Troubles they don't last always
For there's a friend named Jesus
Who will wipe your tears away
And if your heart is broken
Just lift your hands and say

(Oh) I know that I can make it
I know that I can stand
No matter what may come my way
My life is in Your hands
With Jesus I can take it
With Him I know I can stand
No matter what may come my way
My life is in Your hands

So when your tests and trials
They seem to get you down
And all your friends and loved ones
Are nowhere to be found
Remember there's a friend named Jesus
Who will wipe your tears away
And if your heart is broken
Just lift your hands and say

My life is in Your hands
My life is in Your hands
My life is in Your hands

Kirk Franklin
© 1996 Lilly Mack Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: