Thursday, January 17, 2013

More to his life than . . .



More to his life than . . .

Most morning as I page through the local newspaper, I scan the obituaries.  Lives are compressed into a few paragraphs that tell us the essential facts but seldom very much about the person. We remember others and often just a few things remain from all their days among us; a favorite phrase, an image burned into our brain, or – and this is most tragic – a singular moment of failure.  For example, if you mention President Richard Nixon what comes to mind? Watergate!  Bill Clinton’s legacy will forever be marked by his stupidity over a young White House intern, Monica Lewinsky. 

Is it morbid for me to think about my obituary? I wonder what things will be remembered, what will stand out about me? Will it be noble things or failures, selfish acts or Christ-honoring decisions? The Holy Spirit can bring about health and wholeness in our thoughts and plans. He will, if we walk with Him, keep us from the temptations that call out seductively.  We need to pray- "Oh! Teach us to live well! Teach us to live wisely and well!" (Psalm 90:12, The Message)

We remember this, too. Should we somehow fall or fail, and we will; the Scripture is replete with illustrations of the redemption God offers to those who turn to Him. David, the poet–king of Israel, fell long and hard into deep sin. When the ugly facts were exposed, he turned to God in humble prayer. "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. … Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (Psalm 51:1-2, 10-12, NIV)  

People may never forget those things we do wrong, but God will put our failures far from His mind. "Where is another God like you, who pardons the sins of the survivors among his people? You cannot stay angry with your people forever, because you delight in showing mercy. Once again you will have compassion on us. You will trample our sins under your feet and throw them into the depths of the ocean! You will show us your faithfulness and unfailing love as you promised with an oath to our ancestors Abraham and Jacob long ago." (Micah 7:18-20, NLT)  What a powerful image – our sins buried in dark, deep ocean.  Why? Because He delights in restoring us, when we call on Him.

Disciple, be vigilant about those choices that really matter. Walk near to the Lord. Respond quickly to the Spirit’s gentle prompts.  
“Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty! Yes. Yes. Yes."
(Matthew 6:9-13, The Message)
____________

O God, our Help in ages past,
Our Hope for years to come,
Our Shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal Home!

Under the shadow of Thy throne
Still may we dwell secure;
Sufficient is Thine arm alone,
And our defense is sure.

O God, our Help in ages past,
Our Hope for years to come,
Be Thou my Guide while life shall last,
And our eternal Home.

O God Our Help In Ages Past


Watts, Isaac / Croft, William© Public Domain

No comments: