Monday, December 10, 2012

What are you doing here?



“What are you doing here?”

I sometimes wander off into the swamps of doubt, the valleys of fear, or the deserts of selfishness. I allow stinking thinking to take over in my head and it takes me where I need not go; where I should not go!  Faith withers in the gloomy fog of the lowlands of doubt, the brightness of the Son obscured by negative thoughts and by accusations that rise like ghosts from the murk.  In the shadows of the valley of fear I lose hope. The cliff walls close in and the future is hidden.  When I wander into the desert of selfishness, I grow obsessed with finding refreshment.  Desperation grows and with it, a more and more frantic search for something to soothe my troubled soul. And, God is there.

He comes, by His Spirit, and asks, ‘what you are doing here?’  If I respond in humility, as the Scripture says, "He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake." (Psalm 23:3, NIV)  He’s invested in me, I am His child!

Elijah won a great victory for the LORD before the whole nation of Israel. He defeated the false prophets of the local god, Baal, in a show-down on Mt. Carmel.  God sent fire from heaven to consume the sacrifice Elijah had prepared and all Israel knew that the “Lord is our God!”  But the queen was not happy. 400 of her ‘prophets’ died that day and she sent word to Elijah that she would even the score by seeking his death.  In his fatigue, he let stinking thinking take over and it led him to "run for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day’s journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, LORD,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” (1 Kings 19:3-4, NIV)  But the Lord did not abandon his man!  He sent an angel to bring him food and water, then He let him rest.

When Elijah was rested, He invited him to listen for a new commission. But first He asked, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”  When the prophet had confessed his doubts, his fears, and his selfishness, God spoke; but not in a thunderous voice. He whispered gently, giving him renewed hope, a vision for the future.

Have you lost your way, wandered off of the path into fear, or doubt, or selfishness?  Is the Spirit calling you back?  Stop. Look. Listen.  Tell Him why you wandered and as you do, ask His forgiveness in Jesus’ Name. He will forgive, He will restore.  When God’s people had fallen so far that they found themselves enslaved by a foreign nation, the Lord sent words of promise that we can claim today: "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11, NIV)

We need not take those detours from the highway of holiness. I leave you with Jesus’ invitation. "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand." (John 10:27-29, NIV)  

Lord, help us to listen for Your voice.
May Your whisper be like music
Breaking through the noise,
Cutting through the clutter,
Bringing us comfort and peace.

Lead us and guide us this day.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
_____________

He Leadeth Me O Blessed Thought

He leadeth me, O blessed thought,
O words with heavenly comfort fraught.
Whate'er I do, where-e'er I be,
Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me.
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Joseph Henry Gilmore | William Batchelder Bradbury
Public Domain

No comments: