Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vindication?



Vindication?

So how do you deal with those difficult people in your life, with those who are critical about the way you manage your kids, money, marriage, spirituality?  That’s a tough question that I confront from time to time.  I try to choose to let my actions speak for themselves because just about every time I let criticism get under my skin, I regret what I say in self-defense. In the work of pastoral ministry, public as it is, criticism is a constant.  There are those who express appreciation, but there are always some who feel it is necessary to express their displeasure and/or disappointment with my work. More than a few evenings my prayer has  been  “Father, hold my tongue.  Keep me loving. Help me to see the ‘why’ behind the words. Give me patience, now!

When I read Jesus’ instructions to “turn the other cheek, go the second mile, forgive, love your enemies” (wow, He expects a lot from us, doesn’t He?) I realize just how dependent on the Spirit I must be. Who can live like that naturally? Not me.  My natural response to criticism is to say, “Hey, I’m working hard here, doing my best. What else do you want?”  Sometimes, anger gets the best of me and what I think is much less charitable!  I need to renew myself in His grace on a daily basis. Why? Because, dealing with critics in a way that honors Christ and lets His grace shine through is only possible if we are secure in His love.  When we know we are walking with Him, doing His will, that He sees the gap between our best intentions and our failing efforts and loves us anyway, the sting of critical words is wiped away by the touch of His hand, the renewal of the Spirit.

There is a Psalm that I find instructive and comforting. Remember the Psalms are the prayerbook, the songs of the soul, in the Scripture. King David had a thousand critics, some justified, some unfair.  Under pressure, he turns to God, but the prayer he prays reveals both his inner stress and his desire to hope in the Lord. He asks for vindication from the One who knows him best. Take a look.
"Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me.
Take up shield and buckler; arise and come to my aid.
Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me. Say to my soul, “I am your salvation.”
May those who seek my life be disgraced and put to shame; may those who plot my ruin be turned back in dismay.”

He then talks about how he cared for those he thought were his friends, fasting and praying for them in their dark times,  only to find them attacking him when he was down. David complains to God about the unfairness as he sees it.
“O Lord, how long will you look on?”  He wonders why God lets them get away with this. Then, he asks the Lord to act on his behalf.
“Vindicate me in your righteousness, O LORD my God; do not let them gloat over me. Do not let them think, “Aha, just what we wanted!” or say, “We have swallowed him up.”
May all who gloat over my distress be put to shame and confusion; may all who exalt themselves over me be clothed with shame and disgrace.”
 May those who delight in my vindication shout for joy and gladness; may they always say, “The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant.”
My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long." (Psalm 35:1-28, NIV)

Our ultimate Judge is one who sees beyond this day, Who knows the full context of every decision, and Who is never fooled. Let’s trust Him when the critics rain their contempt on us. As we pray, we can adopt the open honesty we see in David’s prayer and know He loves us still. And I know, hopefully you know as well, that the greatest change is usually not brought about in others, but in ourselves.

Living under incoming fire today?  Here’s a word from the Word, both challenging and comforting. Let it hold you steady.
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:12-16, NIV)

Amen

No comments: