Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Keys to the Treasury


Dozens of people with various needs come through my life each week. Yesterday it was a woman who needed $301 to keep from being evicted. Last week it was a man whose heart was shattered by his son’s untimely death. I want to help! Sometimes I slip into a daydream about having so much money I could just write a check to help out. I am rich! A story in the book of Acts reminds me that my resources are not just measured with a bank account balance.

Peter and John were going into the Temple to pray at 3 in the afternoon when a beggar called out to them for money. The man had been in that spot near the gate for years, crippled and dependent on the kindness of those who passed by. "Help me, show some kindness!" he yelled, holding out his hand pathetically. Peter stopped; looked right at him and said, "Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk." (Acts 3:6, KJV) The crippled man "stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God." (Acts 3:8, KJV)

Spirit-filled Christians are given amazing grace, infinite love, abundant mercy, astonishing kindness... need I go on? People need to be gifted with those things, more than money! Do you have a generous spirit? Giving is not a first impulse for most people. Naturally we tend to think about caring for ourselves; making certain that we have secured our place, our future, provision for our perceived needs. But, where the Spirit is in charge, He secures us and teaches us to give ourselves away; just like Jesus did.

How generous are you? 
  • When you tip a server, do you carefully calculate 15% or throw in an extra couple of dollars?
  • When you tithe (10% for God's work) do you divide it down to the penny, or do you round it up with joy?
  • When you're in line do you carefully guard your position or let the guy with a couple of items cut in front of you? Are you impatient with drivers who go too slowly in your lane, or cheerfully share the road?
When we possess the riches of God, not just in word but in our hearts, we are freed from the need to grasp tightly what we perceive belongs to us. We will gain a liberal heart, a generous spirit that overflows. We will take notice of the hurts, the sorrows, the pain of those around us and give them from the store of love that we have received from the Lord. We will readily absorb the insensitivities and insecurities that cause others to slight us without the least care because we are so rich in the Father's love!

The Word observes the principle of reciprocity -
"It is possible to give freely and become more wealthy, but those who are stingy will lose everything. The generous prosper and are satisfied; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed." (Proverbs 11:24-25, NLT) Jesus states it simply - "Give away your life; you’ll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity.”" (Luke 6:38, The Message)

Before you rush on to take on life, take a few moments to thank God for the riches you have been given in Christ Jesus. Meditate on this statement: "God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Corinthians 9:8, NIV)  Yes, we are rich in Him.  So, let’s and give it away! Let’s have find joy today by blessing people with love, kindness, mercy, goodness - from the rich storehouse to which God has given us the key!
__________________

Who Am I

When I think of how He came
So far from glory,
Came and dwelt among the lowly
Such as I,
To suffer shame and such disgrace,
On Mount Calv'ry take my place.
Then I ask myself a question,
Who am I?


Who am I that a King,
Would bleed and die for?
Who am I that He would pray,
“Not my will Thine” for?
The answer I may never know,
Why He ever loved me so,
That to an old rugged cross He'd go,
For who am I?

Rusty Goodman
© 1965 Playin' TAG Music. Renewed 1993. (Admin. by Integrated Copyright Group, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: