Thursday, May 31, 2012

Expectations - greater than I could imagine


The old joke says, "blessed are those who expect nothing, for they will never be disappointed." True enough, but is that really how anyone wants to live? Is the path to serenity paved with apathy? You might say, "I don't know and I don't care." If you did, you would be among millions of Americans who choose to live without expectations, without passion. Reaching higher does create the possibility of disappointment and it also creates opportunity for fulfillment and joy!

The Scripture offers this counsel about the foundation of our hope:
"Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with her who lies in your embrace be careful of your words." (Micah 7:5, NIV)
"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." (Micah 7:7, NIV)
"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment." (1 Timothy 6:17, NIV)

People, even those who are close, may abandon you when you need them most.
Wealth, here today, lost tomorrow, can never provide real security.
But, the Lord gives hope through sickness, war, recession, and even death.

What does it mean to 'put our hope in God?'

We transfer our expectations to His promises - of provision for what we need, not what we want; of love that never fails, for "He is faithful, even when we are faithless;" of eternal life because of Christ's salvation. Even professing Christians sometimes get it wrong, thinking they are hoping in the Lord, when in practice they expect God to grant them all the joys of this present world, with little or no passion for spiritual things.  

Yesterday I heard the terrible news that a friend's baby daughter died suddenly. This woman is a good, godly person, someone who has dedicated herself to serving Christ. My first reaction was to question the Lord. "Why would you allow this to happen to her? She doesn't deserve this." As I prayed for that family, I chose deeper faith, to hope in the Lord. It isn't easy! Faith does not erase the pain of missed expectations. But, it allows real hope to grow, hope that the God of all creation can do something in me, through me, that I cannot even imagine in this moment.

Are you struggling to make sense of life today? Is some disappointment causing you anguish? Have you given up hope, choosing to live in apathy?

Put your hope in God! In faith, take the love of Christ. Simply pray that His love will satisfy your soul's longings. Give your doubts and disappointments to Him in prayer for He is "able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." (Ephesians 3:20, NIV)

Here's a word from the Word. "We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure." (Hebrews 6:11, NIV) "We who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever." (Hebrews 6:18-20, NIV)
_____________________

My hope is built on nothing less,
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' Name.
On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand.
All other ground is sinking sand.
-          Public domain

No comments: