Wednesday, March 14, 2012

To Infinity and Beyond - Buzz Lightyear


Buzz Lightyear, one of the stars of “Toy Story” the 1995 movie, gave us the phrase – to infinity and beyond. The toy astronaut has seen the outposts in space. He attempts to inspire his fellows in the toybox with his line, as he charges off to each new adventure!  Yes, of course, it is just a story, but…

Jesus really does offer eternity to us. When we are stuck in the mud, eyes to the ground, plodding along – He comes to us with a reminder that though we are made from the dirt and our bodies are destined to decay, there is more beyond.  The disciples gathered around the Passover table and heard of His impending death. The news left them stunned, confused, and sad. Their Lord would die? One of them would be a traitor? Peter, the rock, would become a denier? It was incomprehensible. The shouts of the crowd that welcomed them into Jerusalem, cheering Jesus with loud “Hosannas” (an expression of triumph and joy) were still fresh in their minds. Now He says, “I must leave you. I will be crucified.”

Then He told them that there a promise that would change everything. “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”  To infinity and beyond! See past this moment, men. It’s a great statement, but how do I connect with it? I am glad that somebody spoke up. “Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:1-6, NIV)  What they would only come to fully understand sometime later was that He was building a bridge from time to eternity, making it possible for those living in time to exist simultaneously in eternity.

Heaven is often on my mind. It is not that I am escaping my miseries with fantasies of paradise. My life now is made richer when I keep eternity in view. Heaven makes service noble, gives meaning to trials, and helps defeat temptation’s seductions. Because I have a place prepared, I am not overwhelmed with despair. There is no end of the road in sight! Jesus showed that the grave is a door through which I will set up to unending life.

As we walk through Lent, remember that Good Friday is followed by Easter! Though we make much of the Cross and the forgiveness of our sins purchased there, our real hope is the Empty Tomb that confirms His promise that He has room waiting in the Father’s house.

Here’s the word from the Word. Make it yours. Own the Hope.
"If all we get out of Christ is a little inspiration for a few short years, we’re a pretty sorry lot. But the truth is that Christ has been raised up, the first in a long legacy of those who are going to leave the cemeteries. There is a nice symmetry in this: Death initially came by a man, and resurrection from death came by a man. Everybody dies in Adam; everybody comes alive in Christ. But we have to wait our turn: Christ is first, then those with him at his Coming." (1 Corinthians 15:19-23, The Message)

"With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don’t hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort." (1 Corinthians 15:58, The Message)

__________________

Sing the wondrous love of Jesus,
Sing His mercy and His grace!
In the mansions bright and blessed,
He'll prepare for us a place.

While we walk the pilgrim pathway
Clouds will overspread the sky.
But when trav'ling days are over
Not a shadow not a sigh.

When we all get to heaven,
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus,
We'll sing and shout the victory!

Eliza Edmunds Hewitt | Emily D. Wilson
© Public Domain

No comments: