Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Rebel Heart?


The young couple rejoiced in the blessing of God’s provision. In our conversation, he related how his faith was tested during the time of his unemployment, how worry would come over him from time to time. His choice was to adopt the humility portrayed by Job in the face of unfathomable trials.  This man told me, “I put my hand over my mouth,” (Job 40:4) to keep from accusing the Lord falsely! This faith allowed this couple to live at peace. They made their requests of the Lord, but without demand. They were willing to accept what He provided, to let Him lead.

What a contrast to so many who lash out at God when disappointment comes, who question Him and point out His ‘failures.’  The great paradox is that the humble live in peace; the rebels in turmoil. The people of God complained when He told them that He would use a Gentile king to deliver them and that His grace would extend to all nations. The Lord replied to their complaint through the prophet Isaiah: 
“Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker, … Does the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you making?’ … Woe to him who says to his father, ‘What have you begotten?’ or to his mother, ‘What have you brought to birth?’
“This is what the Lord says— the Holy One of Israel, and its Maker: Concerning things to come, do you question me about my children, or give me orders about the work of my hands? It is I who made the earth and created mankind upon it. My own hands stretched out the heavens; I marshaled their starry hosts." (Isaiah 45:9-12, NIV)

If we want to trust God for blessings, we must be willing to trust Him in the silences, too. If we praise Him for bringing us the good times, we must thank Him for the dark days, too. Yes, it is hard for me to accept that He allows suffering to continue, that He lets evil roam and ruin; that He does not stop the terrible tyrants who exert their cruel will. But, if He swept all sin and its fruit from the earth with a wave of His hand, how could I stand? Am I guiltless? Are you?

Like Job and my young friend with whom I spoke yesterday, when I cannot see His purposes, I will “put my hand over my mouth” and pray for faith to flourish.  I am not passively accepting fate, but I am placing myself in His hands. In that place of security, I ask to be used to shed light into dark places, to resist evil and seek to bring justice.  Those who live with great faith make a huge difference. Jesus says they are like salt that preserves, light that dispels confusion. They do not know why all things happen, nor are they so arrogant to assume they will know such things on this side of eternity. But, they live in hope of the great reversal of which Jesus spoke. “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you. … You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom." (Matthew 5:3-4, 10, The Message)

Let’s give up our rebel heart. With faith let’s become like children of a loving Father. Make no mistake. Our aspiration is not to some kind of Zen-like detachment from the sufferings of this world, nor will we rejoice in evil! Jesus wept over the pain that He visited on people. He cried for relief from His own deepest pain, but in the end His prayer was, “not my will, but Yours!”  Today, make that your prayer and confusion will dissolve into trust, trust into strength, and strength into new depth in His Kingdom.



___________________

Blessings

We pray for blessings,
We pray for peace, comfort for family,
Protection while we sleep.
We pray for healing, for prosperity,
We pray for Your mighty hand
To ease our suffering.
And all the while You hear each spoken need,
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things.

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
And what if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?

We pray for wisdom,
Your voice to hear.
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near.
We doubt Your goodness,
We doubt Your love.
As if ev'ry promise from Your Word is not enough.
And all the while You hear each desp'rate plea,
And long that we'd have faith to believe.

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is a revealing of a greater thirst
This world can't satisfy?
And what if trials of this life,
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights;
Are Your mercies in disguise?

© 2011 New Spring | Laura Stories (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.) | (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: