Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bloody Christians


I am reading through Foxe’s Book of Martyrs, a 16th record of Christian sacrifice. I haven’t picked it up in 30 years and, it is deeply speaking to my life about my own willingness to identify with Christ at any cost. It’s a tough read, brutality and bloodshed on every page. Would I be as noble as this?  Ignatius, the Bishop of Antioch in 2nd century, was being prepared for the arena, where he knew he would be torn apart by the lions. He refused all help and in a letter to his follow Christians wrote: “I am the wheat of Christ: I am going to be ground with the teeth of wild beasts, that I may be found pure bread.”

The treasure of knowing Christ Jesus and the promise of an eternal home in the glorious Presence of God gave thousands reason to refuse the pressure to renounce their faith and to die with courage, often after terrible suffering at the hands of sadistic, demon-possessed men. Martyrs were torn apart on racks, grilled over slow fires, and women placed in brothels to be used before they were killed. The torture devised by evil men to be visited on those disciples could only be inspired by the Devil himself. Often the testimony of the condemned was so compelling that some of the soldiers guarding them were converted, only to die with them!

What a contrast to the Christianity of our time and culture. Some may abandon their ‘faith walk’ over matters such as the ‘wrong’ music played in ‘their’ church or the failure of the pastor to remember their need in the congregational prayer.  A large percentage of those who claim Christ as Lord will not engage in ministry that requires them to reduce their involvement in leisure activities,  much less give of their resources beyond what they feel they can afford. If we can barely make the ‘sacrifice’ of 90 minutes on Sunday morning for the sake of worship, how would we face the prospect of death for Christ’s sake?  Are we sold into the service of Christ, our King; or have we so exalted a sense of Self that He must meet our every demand for more comfort, things, and pleasure lest we turn our back on Him?

I am thankful, oh, so grateful to God to be able to claim the Name of Jesus without fear of prison or sword!  I am not longing for martyrdom or a return to a time of bloody Christians. My cry is that I might love Him as fervently, that I might lose myself in Him to such a degree, that even death itself would hold no terrors for me.  I pray for a passion for the things of the Lord that would make all other things in my life meaningless by comparison. Jesus spoke of His own sacrifice and reminded those who would follow Him of the cost. “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." (John 12:23-25, NIV)

Here’s a word from the Word. Lord, let us live wholly and holy.
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.
And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.” Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?"
(Hebrews 12:2-7, NIV)
_______________

Am I a soldier of the cross,
A follower of the Lamb?
And shall I fear to own His cause
Or blush to speak His name?

Must I be carried to the skies
On flowery beds of ease?
While others fought to win the prize
And sailed thro' bloody seas?

Sure I must fight if I would reign.
Increase my courage, Lord!
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain,
Supported by Thy Word.

And when the battle's over
We shall wear a crown!
Yes, we shall wear a crown;
Yes, we shall wear a crown.
And when the battle's over
We shall wear a crown,
In the new Jerusalem.
Wear a crown, wear a crown,
Wear a bright and shining crown.
And when the battle's over
We shall wear a crown
In the new Jerusalem!

When The Battle's Over
© Public Domain, Isaac Watts

No comments: