Thursday, December 15, 2011

Walking by Fate?

Yesterday, I was looking over some notes I had made some 14 months ago about dreams I had for the ministries of the church which I serve a pastor. As I prayed for guidance and the direction of the Spirit back then, I made note of some of my impressions. Reading through them last night was faith-building. Much of what was on that list has come into being at the church, not because I forced them into being, but because we walked in daily obedience. God used that moment to remind me that He knows the future. We walk in faith. 

I remember a time years ago, when I was ‘certain’ that I belonged on the staff of a church in a state far away. They were interested in me and offered a position I really felt I could fill. As we started to take steps to relocate, uneasiness grew in me. I even became physically sick! Finally, I gave up my dream and said, “yes,” to obedience.  About six months later, that church fell into a terrible time as a result of leadership failure. The Lord spared me from being drawn into that mess.

I do not believe in fate, but I am assured that when I keep step with the Spirit, He always leads ‘in paths of righteousness.’  The Word tells us that "If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand." (Psalm 37:23-24, NIV) Beware of trusting your own instincts and wisdom.  

Peter loved Jesus and when he heard Him talking about going to the Cross, he "took him aside and began to rebuke him." (Mark 8:32, NIV) Peter’s ‘wisdom’ could not accept that Jesus would die the death on a Roman cross, suffering in agony, and still be in the will of God!  What purpose could such a thing serve?   But the Cross was the plan of God!  Peter's good intentions earned him a strong correction. "Turning and seeing his disciples wavering, wondering what to believe, Jesus confronted Peter. "Peter, get out of my way! Satan, get lost! You have no idea how God works."  (Mark 8:33, The Message)  I hope never to hear that from my Lord.

Disciples need a heart that obeys without argument. We need not be paralyzed by a fear of walking out of the will of God!  He's a big God who is perfectly capable of guiding and keeping us. However, stubbornness or a failure to listen carefully will cause us to wander from the path He has planned.  Our word from the Word is taken out of Psalm 37. 

"Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes."
(Psalm 37:1-7, NIV)
________________

Father, I thank you for the promise that You will always guide us.
I am often tempted to walk by fate! Teach me to walk by faith!
Open my eyes to the possibilities that exist in Your purpose,
And keep me from seeing only the ‘obvious.’

My greatest joy is to do what You want me to do, to be where You desire me to be.
Make the way plain, Lord, and gently, yet firmly, keep me in the center of Your plan where there is
great joy, wonderful peace, and blessings for this life and eternity.

In Jesus' Name, I ask this today.
Amen

1 comment:

Joe said...

I like this site